Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rhino Line the inside

View previous topic :: View next topic  
badtj05

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Rhino Line the inside Reply with quote

I know it's unanimous that rhino lining the inside of your jeep's a good thing. Just wondering if anyone here has had it done, or anyone's done it themselves. I've heard of people doing their fenders in it also, any thoughts? I found a shop that specializes in rhinolining jeeps out here, so I'm confident in the ability, not like its a ziebart or anything. I'm goin black on the inside, may want to do the fenders also if it's cheap enough. The guy out there did an entire jeep once, every surface. Looked pretty cool.
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeithTJ and I rhino lined the whole interior of his TJ and it turned out really well. Just make sure you take out the drain plugs and tape of around the bolts in the floor. Make sure everything is very very clean and use Xylene or Methyl Ethyl Ketone to prep the surface. We used Xylene and it worked awesome. Roll it on light (if you do it yourself of course) and then come back with a second, heavier coat. Let it dry for several hours and you are good to go!!!

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corey we used MEK on mine. I used herculiner, it's about $100 for the kit. I love it, and want to put another coat on this summer!

My Morning Jacket
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's it holding up?
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith.... We used Xylene...the can is still in my garage - Trust me.

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait we used acitone on shawn's right?
Troy, it's great. You can't really tell that I've had it on there for a year. On the drivers side floorboard it's worn down a little bit because that is the most used side. I'm going to do some touch up spots this summer though!

My Morning Jacket
quadna71

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm.....MEK - wish they hadn't taken that away from us on the air base Shocked
chris
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhino, Line-X are the 2 biggest professionally installed spray-in liners on the market. There are others, but I don't remember their brand name.

Herculiner and Durabak dominate the DIY market.
badtj05

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you guys just talked me into doin it myself. Hell, I'd rather do it myself, perfectionist, just thought it might be tough to pull off. How much of the stuff did you guys go through when you did yours for the two coats? I'm guessing 2 gals. should cover it.
quadna71

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think a gallon will be plenty - but that's just from reading up on other people's sites.
chris
MN Dave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably one of the most inexperienced guys on here and I did the inside of my jeep in Hurculiner and I'm happy with the results. It was a pain in the ass to strip everything out of the inside of my YJ, but only because most of my bolts were rusted in and had to be drilled out. Shouldn't be a problem on your TJ. There are a few thin spots that I must have missed on one of the passes. The Herculiner did start to thinkin up and get a little chuncky on my second coat, just make sure you keep it thinned out like the instructions tell you. Hell, if I can do it, anybody can.

Oh, yeah, one gallon will be more then sufficent. I did my tailgate, lock box, a bunch of different brackets, and sill had plenty extra.
brewmenn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Speedy liner sprayed in my Jeep a year ago. It hardly shows any wear after a year. Plus if's not quite as rough as herculiner and I think it cleans up easier.
kitesurferinva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mine last summer with Durabak and we did a friend of mine's at the same time with Herc. We all liked the finished look of the Durabak better, and found that the durabak sprayed much better (we used an air compressor and thinned out the durabak/herc with a bit of xylene). It took one gallon from start to finish, and that was putting 4 thin coats at a time on, and hitting the floor board with a bit more because of the heavier traffic. I recommend you use the metal wire masking tape, and remove the tape a few min after your final coat to give it a clean edge. Make sure you prep the surface well, but dont remove the paint, just rough it up. The liner actually adhears best to the factory paint, which has bonded to your metal already.

There is a writeup that one of our guys wrote that is pretty good for the do it yourselfer....

http://www.novajeepers.com/ and then click on tech writeups, and then Herc spray in write up.
Kitesurferinva -98 TJ 2" BB, 1" BL, Big Daddy Rocker Guards, Custom front bumper, SKBpro rear bumper w/ spare tire swing out carrier, 33x12.5 BFG MT's on 15x10 AR Outlaw II's, 2 Hella lights, warn engine and diff skids, Kilby steering skid
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: