Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear end question and Upgrade

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigdaddyK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: Rear end question and Upgrade Reply with quote

Ok... In Canada it has been a little cold. I bought a 95 YJ and couldn't be happier. Yesterday it was finally warm enough to do a little more looking. I got under the rear end and it is wet all around the pumpkin and on the shafts leading to the tires. It's not dripping leaking (nothing on the driveway) but it must be losing fluid. 3 Questions from this

1. How do I add fluid to the differential?? (I had a chev truck prior and it just had a bolt you pull out)

2. Is this a big concern?

3. I will be putting an engine that puts out 375 ft/lbs torque in eventually when I upgrade what should I go to?? I've been reading the posts.. a lot of you are going to Ford 8.8 will that handle the torque I can/will Twisted Evil be giving it?? or Dana 60? or ????
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to upgrade the rear end, I would do the Ford conversion. I know the Explorer rear ends are 8.8 and perfect to put under there. They are very strong and easy to maintain. What type of engine are you putting in??

The grease all around the diff cover is pretty normal. If you are going to do the axle swap soon, I wouldnt worry about it. In order to add/change the fluid in the diff, you have to remove the cover and put a new seal and everything in there....

CoreyXJ

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
bigdaddyK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Ok.. but what about the transmission Reply with quote

It's going to be a while for the upgrade i'm afraid Crying or Very sad I've just purchased the Jeep the wife would skin me if I don't pay it off before any upgrades... but I like to do the research in advance... for the engine I have a 400 small block out of the chev truck I mentioned.. It will be rebuilt and neatly inserted into the Jeep. The engine has been built up enough to push roughly 325 horse and like I said approx 375 ft/lbs. I'm thinking a NV4500 or T56?? for the tranny... any thoughts there??
ylojelo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what axles do stock YJs have?
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ylojelo wrote:
what axles do stock YJs have?

Dana 30 up front and Dana 35 in the back.
DesertYJ

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigdaddyK,
You have a dana 35c in the rear. It will not handle the power you plan to put in front of it.

If you are going to drive it until then you should at least check the fluid level.
You do not have to pull the cover, and if you do you do not need a gasket.
(I change mine every 6000 miles or when I go through deep water.)

To check:
Park on level ground. Remove expection/fill bolt in cover. The fluid should be level with the bottom of the hole. If it is nasty, change it.
To change it:
Put pan under dif. Remove bolts and pull cover. Spray out all old fluid with brake cleaner. Inspect gears for wear at this time. Put RTV on cover and replace. Fill dif through fill hole until it runs out fil hole. Replace plug.
Now do the front.
This fluid does not need to be replaced as often as your motor oil but it should be replaced. If your seals are bad, and oil is or has leaked out, water may have leaked in. Change it, cheap insurance.
DesertYJ

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://jeephorizons.com/tech/diffoil.html
skidmark

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to run that much torque I would suggest a ford 8.8 or a dana 44 in the rear. Now that I have said what most hardcore jeepers believe I feel I need to add that it all depends on how you drive and where you wheel. I have a friend that has a 383 stroker with about the same numbers and he runs stock 30 front stock 35 rear with arb air lockers in both, and has never broken anything. We wheel some very tough places in the cascades. Both the 30 and the 35 are tougher than alot of people think. I know they are not the strongest, but I believe it has more to do with your driving skills than the strength of your axles. IMHO.
ZONA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

Yes - I agree that the Dana 30 and Dana 35 are stronger then people give them credit for. I have stock axles on my 2005 Wrangler and have gone up some pretty steep rock steps and I haven't broken anaything, deep loose sand and much more. I have 33" inch tires and the rear is locked too. I imagine that most D35's that break are probably a combination of two things. Driver error and age of the axle. Take it easy on the gas and you'll save your new axle. Now if your Jeep has been wheeling pretty hard for 2, 3 years or longer, it's going to weaken and eventually will need to be replaced, if you continue to wheel hard. I bought a Jeep Wrangler for 1 reason, to kick some tail. If all I wanted to do was drive down a bumpy dirt road then I would have just kept my sissy Liberty. I do plan on doing an upgrade at some point. Either a new Currie 9" or just replacing axle shafts to Chromolly.

Currie will make you a custom High Pinion 9" 35 Spline with Detroit for $3200.00 for the rear. Just FYI. Add $350 to that and you could replace the Detroit with an ARB (without compressor).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: