Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi Everyone, New with Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldog01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Hi Everyone, New with Questions Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I just found this fourum and thought I would start to post and hopefully I can also find some stuff out along the way. I guess I'll just start off by saying that I'm planing on purchasing my first Jeep this summer. My sister turns 16 here in December and I will have to give her my car and have to buy something else. So I've been looking at some different stuff and I think that I'm going to buy a Jeep. Now I have about $15,000 or so to spend so I've been looking at a 2000 or 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited or a Laredo. I've been told to stay away from the 99 cause it was the first year that they went with the new style. So I guess I would just like to ask a few questions. Now I know the Limited comes with either a V8 or a I6 and i've been leaning twords the I6 since it will get better gas milage and I wouldn't be doing much towing or off roading with it. Would the I6 be able to pull a regular fishing boat or say a ice fishing shack, our boat is just a regular fishing boat, think a 14 foot boat with a 50 hp motor, and our ice shack is 16 feet long. I would think it would have enough power to do this. Also the reason I think I might go with the Limited is because I like the way it looks compared to the Laredo, plus it has all of the options, other than the options is there much difference between the Laredo and the Limited? Also I have a amp and sub in my current car, and I was wondering with the stereo that comes in the Jeep is there an input on the stereo to hook up the sub/amp system or would I need to replace the stereo? One last question, is there a big difference between the 2000 style compared to the 2001 style, any recals or problems I should be concerned about? Else I'm excited to be a part of this site and hope I can learn some stuff, and when I get my Jeep I'm sure I'll get plenty of use out of it, thanks in advance.
Jon
________
ecigarettes

Last edited by bulldog01 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONly major difference in the limited and the Laredo is the cladding painted to match the body on Limited, and the leather seats..

The I6 only gets a few MPG better gas mileage...

Just for your info 2001 4.0 ( I6 ) engine is rated for 5000lb towing and the V8 is rated for 6500lb.

Hope that helps..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bulldog01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing I ran into while looking for my new jeep. I was just wondering what is the difference between a Limited and a Special Edition or a Freedom Edition, if there is any at all, they pretty much look the same as a Limited, so was just wondering if there was any at all. Thanks!
________
Honda NSR500V specifications

Last edited by bulldog01 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
jeepzj9304

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think its more of options on the jeep. i drive a 93 laredo the first year they came out with the j.g.c right after the wagoneer. i like the I6 alot better that the v8 yes the v8 is putting out more powere but at the same time the I6 is putting out more torque but with either one pulling your boat or an ice shack would both engines would be fine. the only thing i have to say is dont go with parelli tires those dont work to good on anhything even dry pavement.
JMikeH

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my 99 GC, I think the gas mileage rating was the same for the V8 and the I6, so the only reason to go with the I6 is that it was tried and true, whereas the V8 was a new aluminum design. If you are concerned about gas mileage don't buy a Jeep, and certainly don't buy a 4x4. There were a lot of problems that Jeep fixed, mainly with the steering as I recall. I have had no engine problems. Oh yes, the electric windows. That is apparently a technology that leaves Chrysler baffled, as mine went out multiple times.

Regarding towing, if you get a vehicle that has the class IV hitch you will probably have enough power for your towing task but I would be concerned about the tongue weight making you look like a giant V going down the road.
bmeyst

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i own a 97 larado with a 5.2 V8 and i've driven quit a few I6's (mainly in wranglers though) and i opt for the "put you in your place" power of the V8's. the only problems ive ever had form my jeep (knock on wood) is rebuilding the tranny and wheelbearings 1 headbang
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: