Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1st Annual J.Ho SE Run Part Deux - The Writeup

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: 1st Annual J.Ho SE Run Part Deux - The Writeup Reply with quote

After months of planning it was finally here...and it turned out to be a blast. Despite the predictions of bad weather we had 2 absolutley gorgeous days...all the rain held off until Sunday. There's a lot that happened and a lot of pics....so we'll get right into it - after Jen and I made the 11.5 hour trek into western Kentucky I noticed this.

From what I can tell, the threads stripped out on one of the upper bolts and the pressure left on the other caused it to drop out as well. It doesn't really count as trail damage since it didn't happen on the trail. Anywoo....

Day One - Friday
After everyone showed up we hit the OHV trails. By the time we made it down there it was already mid afternoon, but we still had a good day. The standard lineup shot. From left to right: Ryan (ShawnWJ's brother), Jen(2Goofy), Corey(XJ), me, Keith(TJ) and Matt (Kygreenyj). On the ATV's that's Greg (G. Shucks), Eric and Issac.

Where that pic was taken is just a clearing with a whole bunch of mud puddles. So Ryan took the oppurtunity to bust the cherry on his ZJ. He was doing like 40 and almost ended up rollling it...he was on 2 wheels at one point. We knew right then it was gonna be a good weekend. rofl

We spent the afternoon exploring the main trail. Our (myself, Corey and KTJ) goal was to get some solid GPS track logs (park maps suck) and scout out some good side trails for Saturday. Of couse, while doing that we made sure to have some fun going up:

Ryan:

Keith:

Matt:

Corey

We then went looking for the Gator Pit, I'm not a big fan of mud but some of these were actually kinda fun. First casuality was Jen - she got stuck and I strapped her out:

After she was out we decided to press on and keep looking for the pit...of course then I got stuck and Corey had to strap me out. rofl

Did I mention that the guys on the ATV's were having a blast too?

Since it was getting late and we were supposed to be meeting Shawn, Megan and John back at the cabins, we decided to give up looking for the pit and keep going. On the way I eyeballed something I wanted to explore more on Sat (and boy, did I), plus we had a little more fun:

Matt:

Jen:

This was funny...KTJ was having some problems taking the same little climb/obstacle.

As we all began to detect the sweet smell of a burning clutch, he got out to look at his line and Corey jumped in and took over.

Then, to add insult to injury...Corey backed down and did it again over the harder line. rofl

Anyway that was about it...for wheeling at least. We went back to the cabins and met up with the rest of the group. There was much drinking, arguing over basketball, a discussion over the intelligence of horses, at least one drunken phone call (to Troy)...you get the idea. Mr. Green

Day Two - Saturday
Got out to the OHV trails around 10 or so. Went to the same spot for another lineup pic, but never really got it...Ryan, Shawn(WJ), and John (Fruitstripe) just went right at the mud puddles.

Yup, that's why it's called fruitstripe

There were 30 foot high mud splashes, ATV races...we completly forgot to take a lineup shot. Anyway we headed up the opposite way than we did on Friday. Remember that "something" I eyeballed that I wanted to explore more? Well, there was a lot more to it than I could see from the main trail on Friday. After Corey and I walked it through and picked out where the trouble/tricky spots would be, I decided to go for it with Corey and Ryan spotting me:

The first third and the last third were not too difficult....it was the middle third that was tough. It would have been easy for someone on 35's or 37's...but on 30's it was a challenge. We ended up winching it forward 6-8 inches at a time.

It almost went on it's side more than once. The scariest moment was a teeter/toter with only 2 wheels in contact with the ground...we ended up tying a strap to the passenger side leaf spring and having Eric, Issac and Greg keep me from rolling. I don't have any pics of that one...but it is on Corey's vidcam. After that save, we were in another jam. Two shots of it...

The front drivers wheel was wedged in good and the back wheel was barely hanging on. If we tried to move the front end in the direction it needed to go the back wheel was going to slip and put the Jeep on it's side. We got out of it because of Carl. Carl was a guy on an ATV who wedged it against a tree and used his winch on my rear axle to hold it in place while we used my winch to free the front wheel.

After almost 3 hours and gathering a crowd of about 40 people, including 2 park rangers...we pushed it through. The only damage being misaligned steering and a dented rear bumper. I take no credit for getting the XJ through it....I might have been in the Jeep, but it was Corey, Eric, Issac, Greg and Ryan that pushed me through it...either with spotting or by sheer muscle.
bowdown

Oh...and Carl? He burned up his winch keeping me from rolling. When I offered to pay for it, he refused saying "Just glad I could help."

Once again...bowdown

Onto more wheeling...while we were playing in what we later found out was called Buttpuckers Gulch, Shawn and John managed to find the Gator Pit. Turns out that it had been filled in and wasn't that big of a deal anymore. Eric and Issac started measuring some of the other puddles with a stick and told Matt that he could make this one. hmmmm...I think they lied. rofl

So Shawn got to bust his recovery cherry strapping him out.

Then Shawn managed to get stuck as well. I ended up having to winch him out because there was no room to strap him without getting stuck myself. I don't have any pics of that one.

By this time it was 4pm and none of us had really eaten since breakfast. So we headed back down to the staging area, collected some firewood and headed back to camp....after all that's where the beer was. We also realized that John should not be allowed to have the lighter fluid.

Like I said at the top...it was a blast! The above only scratches the surface of the fun we had. It was great to meet these folks and I, for one, am looking forward to doing it again. We are already talking about having next years run here in VA. I'll tell you right now that we'd (FM2CD) be more than happy to host it.

Anywayz, that's about all. Corey, good luck and have fun at Wyotech for the next 9 or so months.

I'll end in typical fashion...

J.Ho has left the trail!

We'll see y'all at Paragon in July.

Rock On!

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that looks like a great time, wish we could've been there. Great pics!! I'll have to take zilla next time Mr. Green
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeet write up Steve!! I have converted my Vid-cam to tape and I am going to mail that to you. I have given the stuff I got on my Digi-Cam to ShawnWJ and hes going to burn it to CD and mail that to you... So you should have my tape by the weekend and Shawns within a week or so.

I can't wait to do it all again !!!!!

Later - CoreyXJ

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up and great times, can't wait to do it again!

My Morning Jacket
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve and I are all ready talking about where we can take you guys and where we all can stay next year.

You know it would not be a bad idea to start thinking abou this now. This gives eveyone plenty of time to plan, set the date and get everything organized. Let me know what you guys think.

We are talking about staying here:
http://www.walnuthillscampground.com/

We can camp and they have cabins to rent also. (Some of these things come with TV, fridge, bathroom, and a kitchen) However if you guys want to do the cabins again, I would suggest we start planning this now. Also on the down side with planning this now and gettting cabins set up, if something happens and you need to cancel they have a $20 cancelation fee.

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are you guys talking about doing this? This summer or next year (a.k.a. Second Annual J-Ho Run !!??)

I am game for cabins if its going to be next summer/spring - If not then we need to go ahead and plan one for then anyways !!!!!

Can't wait to get out there, go to school, and get back so we can go wheeling!!

CoreyXJ

Jen/Steve - Check your emails , I sent you a few .MOV files and be watching the snail mail for a video tape!!!

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are talking next year...preferably spring but possibly summer. We need to let a couple of things shake out on this end before we pick a date. We have to make sure we don't conflict with any potential VA4WDA events. Wink

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shawnwj
Pterodactyl Poop

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
I got the two videos converted and they are on my computer. Next step is to author the DVD. The First Annual JHO trip will be available on DVD....VERY SOON!! I was wondering if you could send me all the pics you have from the trip. Like maybe a few .zip files or something. Get back to me and let me know. Thanks again and talk to you soon. Smile

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawnwj wrote:
Steve,
I got the two videos converted and they are on my computer. Next step is to author the DVD. The First Annual JHO trip will be available on DVD....VERY SOON!! I was wondering if you could send me all the pics you have from the trip. Like maybe a few .zip files or something. Get back to me and let me know. Thanks again and talk to you soon. Smile

No prob. I'll try to get them sent out tonight.

Quote:
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That place is only 7 hours from Louisville so we can do it!

Shawn get ready for another run at LBL, I want to go back in a few months!

My Morning Jacket
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithtj wrote:
That place is only 7 hours from Louisville so we can do it!

Shawn get ready for another run at LBL, I want to go back in a few months!

i know when i going to field training this summer (boot camp for pansy ROTC kids) so let me know if you all are gonna go down to LBL again

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping to go some weekend in June

My Morning Jacket
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might work for me i am going to field training at the end of the summer (end of july i think)

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
Shawnwj
Pterodactyl Poop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith,
That weekend should be okay. We are going to see DMB on June 12 and 13th up in Indy, which is the beginning of that week. We will have to play it by ear and see.

fruitstripe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well now that we are home i am finding some things missing. lol
the seal around the windshild is number one. next my alternater went out last night so now i am driving my car till i yank it out and replace it.. like everyone said it was a great trip and lots of fun was had. hope i can got to the next one and have some new tires stuffed under my lil truck. to bad yet again it will still not fit in. there is only one thing to remeber though the FRUITSTRIPE can carry alot of fire wood!!!!! Finger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Events & Places All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: