Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dashboard is possesed by satan, or is it something simple??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodsytc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: dashboard is possesed by satan, or is it something simple?? Reply with quote

in our 1998 4cyl TJ the airbag light came on 2~3 times last week. today all the gauges have quit working and the odometer wont move. the only things in the cluster that seem to work are the turnsignals and the airbag and gas warning lamp are staying on (i know the tank is half full)

any guesses or ideas.
i tried to run the "diagnostic" code trick by turning the key on&off 3 times etc.. and ithe only code i think i read was 2.4

does this mean anything to you?

thanks for your help.
woodsy Confused
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1852&highlight=dash
woodsytc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any ideas on what the "code" is telling me with the 2.4??

also...
when i did the key on~off & hold the trip button test, the gauges respond normally. Rolling Eyes

where/how will i find the ground connection behind the gauge cluster? is it gonna be staring at me when i open it or is it tricky to find?

woodsy
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all your gauges die and the dash lights come on, then it could be a bad connection behind your dash. A little wack on the top of the dash will fix the problem. ALso you can take off the dash and re-connect your wires with a better connection.

My Morning Jacket
woodsytc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few whacks on the top brought it back to life and a little rcleaning of the connectors and plugs with some old tv tuner cleaner has stopped it for the last few weeks. thanks. it was something simple
abeck

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i put mud terrain tires on i got much more vibration obviously - it rattled the wire harness apart so the gauges were not wired anymore - harness should be right behind the faceplate for the gauges - go from underneath.
Wulff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Posessed by Satan Reply with quote

Hi y'all - Definately a newbie, so I hope you don't mind my posting.

I own a 98TJ and had the on-again off-again demon posession of my instrament pannel for years (actually every summer) and was quite used to slamming my hand on the dash board to make everything run again.

Took it to the dealership and it was a bad switch in the instrament pannel - not just a loose wire. Works like brand spankin new now!

Jeep Happy
Happy Jeep
Bmansoftball

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: RE: Possessed by Satan Reply with quote

What switch did they replace in the instrument panel? I keep having to take mine apart and adjust the prongs to get a tight connection but it doesn't last very long.
UTWeezul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happened on mine a lot a while ago but it hasn't happened in a long time...knock on wood. But I took the cluster off and got a Q-tip with some rubbing alcohol on the end and cleaned the connectors. Now I haven't had a problem...it could work for you
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: