Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeep WJ 42RE transmission problem Need advice.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Jeep WJ 42RE transmission problem Need advice. Reply with quote

The transmission in my 02' Wj for the last 2 weeks has been acting up. I had to manually put it in first gear for the vehicle to goto 1 st gear to accelerate off a stop light, and then the trans would shift great through all gears. If I didn't put it in first gear off a light, it would start off in second gear and acc. fine through the gears. The jeep has 50K and has been babied. I took it to the shop, and had them do a flush with 20 quarts of ATF+4 to see if the fluid was old, but to no avail, the same problem (not fixed). The fluid that came out was clean, and the fluid that was put it was brand new. This morning I was driving, on the street in (D) about 45 mph, and the transmission shifted into nuetral, but the transmission was still in (D) it revved up to 4000 rpm before I let off the acc. then I stopped the jeep. I started to acc. from a stop, and know it will not shift out of first gear. It will acc. in first, and then it will not drag the motor down when you let off the throttle. It is like you acc. hard, and then push the clutch in. Not the way it should be normally (give it gas/ accelerate/ then let off the the engine drags to slow it down)
Would it be a speed sensor that has gone bad? THe computer shows no codes have been tripped. Please help.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the tranny might have a problem.. There is a shift control unit.. (Not sure the name of it...) But it could be the culprit... I would hit a tranny shop that offers free estimates and see what they say..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Brad S

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let us know what you find out, im interested
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: update WJ tranny Reply with quote

I got the jeep home and shut it down. I came out about an hour later, fired it up, and drove like brand new. DOES NOT MAKE SENSE, but I was relieved. So I figured it was a fuse or somthing.. So I opened the box the engine compartment and pulled the TCM fuse, hit it a couple of times and sprayed some 10W40 in the connectors.I then kept my luck and drove it on a business trip 300 plus miles and it did fine. Hasn't happend since. THanks for the help though. Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: