Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yee Haa! Putting a Rubicon 2" Budget Boost on my TJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AggieDog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Yee Haa! Putting a Rubicon 2" Budget Boost on my TJ Reply with quote

Well, I purchased the Rubicon 2" Budget Boost kit, and one of my friends and I are going to install it later this afternoon at his place. He is a mechanic, and has all of the tools.

I am putting this on my 2004 TJ, Rocky Mtn Edition jeep. The reason I am going this way is I want to maintain somewhat the factory road handling setup, but want to gain some clearance. I currently have the 30 inch Goodyear standard tires on the alcoa rims. I will put some 31's on it next.

I am trying to maintain a compromise with wifey, so she doesnt go ballistic on me. My 4 wheeling interest's don't involve "rock crawling" per se, and I dont want to get into changing the front and rearend gear ratios. This jeep does have the Dana 44 rear end, soft top, 3.73 differential ratio, and I dont want to loose my 4 Lo crawl ratio, and I want to maintain highway capability.

Last fall I put the warn bumper on the front, and the Jeeperman swingaway tire carrier, and rear bumper, plus the jamboree rack, and two GI can holders on it.

General 4 wheeling, hunting, fishing, and screwing around are what I do but I dont have much interest in rock crawling. I'm thinking this is the best way for me to go to achieve my objective. I dont see me wanting to go any higher than this. I'm one of those older dudes, and not interested in 33 inch tires, etc, possibly 32's, but that would be it. Again, I want to keep it as stock as possible, but gain some off road capability.

(If I was not married, I would raise it to the clouds with big tires and all !!!) I am kind of jazzed though. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
The jeep has the 5 speed tranny with a 4.0 L six cylinder under the hood.
AggieDog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we got the Rubicon BB installed and I like it. The best news is I have "no vibrations". It took us 3 1/2 hours, with a minor glitch, one of the rear shocks had the wrong rubber bushing in it, so we took a bushing from one of the shocks we removed. That was a pain in the a ss, but it worked out.

The ride is nice, jeep handles well, and overall I am very pleased with it all.

I'll be busy for about a week but I'll try to post a pic, or let one of you post a pic.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, I def. want to see a picture of that with 31s. I'm trying to decide to do it now or later when I get the 32s. If I wait for the 32s it will be at least another year, the BFGs are 2.5yrs old, but wear like iron.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AggieDog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KnightFire, I am currently running the 30 inch Goodyear APS's and it still looks good. If you are anything like me, go ahead and do your budget boost because really, your jeep is going to look alot better regardless of your tire's.

Maybe the 29's would look somewhat silly, but like I say, even my 30's look great with the lift on.

I'm wondering if the fact that I have the full jeeperman setup in the back end, and a warn bumper on the front adds enough weight that you won't get vibs with the 2 inch lift, because I have the Dana 44 rear end. Or maybe it is just a chance deal. I am real pleased with the lift. It basically is a compromise with my wife. I was worried I would need the 31's immediatly, but, as good as it looks, I don't feel like I am rushed to go get the 31's, although, typical male that I am, I want them now! Some things never change with us.............LOL. Very Happy
badtj05

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also highly recommend running a 2" budget boost, put one in two weeks ago. Have 31's on it, looks much more like a jeep. I had the 31's before the lift, everyone says you can run 31's on stock, but it wasn't pretty. I had about 3" clear between the fender and tire. Now everything is in a happy place. I'll upload pics once I get a chance. I wouldn't hesitate with the lift, even if I did have 29's.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, the only difference is that I alreaday have a 1" BL kit on...so I'm hoping I can make a judgement call after seeing some pics Cool.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AggieDog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone able to post a pic for me, of so send me a private email and I will send you a pic or two of the 2 inch BB with 30 inch Goodyear AP-S tires.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried http://photobucket.com/? Then follow these directions. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: