Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wheel and Tire Questions for a 2004 TJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AggieDog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Wheel and Tire Questions for a 2004 TJ Reply with quote

Gents, I currently have 30 inch tires on my 04 TJ Rocky Mtn Edition wrangler. My question is this: my rims are the alcoa 15 inch by 10.5 I believe. What size 31 inch tire can I run on it, and do I need any back spacing? I am clueless on knowing what kind of rim or back spacing I would need. I think someone told me I could run 31 X 10.5's on my current rims. Is there any advantage to going to 16 inch rims if I am only going to be running 31 inch tires? I am ok with putting 31 by 10.50's on it.

Next question, for a good aggressive tire, what ones do you guys run that you like the most? Any advantage of one over the other for running streets mainly, but having a decent aggressive tread off road?

Finally, I know running 32's would be pushing it as I will only have the Rubicon 2 inch Budget boost. But, if I did run them, with 32 inch tires, am I completely ruining my onroad capability with 3.74 rear end, and the 5 speed tranny with the 4.0 L six cylinder? If I loose too much, without re gearing (of which I want to avoid doing) I am fine staying with 31's.

I know nothing of spacing requirements, etc, and figured some of you experts could help me. Also, I prefer a more normal width in tread, rather than a real wide tread as I am a firm believer that they provide much better grip in wheeling in the hills etc, everywhere where "rocks" primarily wont be.

Help..... Very Happy
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I love my BFG A/T KO tires, I have the 31x10.5x15 they fit perfectly. They are great in the dirt/snow/rain/and for daily driving. They are OK in the mud.

I will be getting the 32x11.5x15, shouldn't be any fitment problems at all. However, I have aftermarket rims (OutLaw II) with decent back spacing. Worst case, you may have to do the washer mod.

I want to know about running 32" tires with OEM 3.73:1 gears too...I think it will be on the razors edge of performance though. I'd hate to only bump up to a 4.10:1 or 4.27:1 gears just for 32s.

Here is a cool chart for you:
http://jeephorizons.com/tech/rpmchart.html

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staying with the 31's is a good idea .

Ill 2nd what KnightFire says about the BFG ATko tire. I had them on a few different vehicles including my last TJ. They are IMHO the best On/Off road tire you can run.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
quadna71

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll second the BFG's...but i like the MT's a little more than the AT's. you'll sacrifice some of the street characteristics - but the offroad abilities you'll possess will more than make up for it.

for tire size i'd "consider" the 32" size. some tire manufacturers overrate their tires with regards to height. for example - 32" BFG's are only 31.8" tall and goodyear mt/r's in 32" size are only 31.5" tall! while i agree the step up to 33" tires will have you downshifting to 4th on almost any grade hill, i think that a 32" tire wouldn't kill your on-road power that much.

just for comparisons sake here's some pics of my fiance's jeep - 2" BB w/31" BFG MT's

now here is a buddy of mine's tj on a 2" BB w/32" GY MT/R's

hope this helps some in your decision...
chris
AggieDog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking Jeeps! Thanks for the info guys. It helps.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quadna71 wrote:
for tire size i'd "consider" the 32" size. some tire manufacturers overrate their tires with regards to height. for example - 32" BFG's are only 31.8" tall and goodyear mt/r's in 32" size are only 31.5" tall! while i agree the step up to 33" tires will have you downshifting to 4th on almost any grade hill, i think that a 32" tire wouldn't kill your on-road power that much.

You need to watch the width of those 32s though. The 11.5" width on stock wheels put you dangerously close to the coil perches in the rear and they will slice a tire if you don't address them. Either get out the grinder and clearance them, or use aftermarket wheels. The stock wheels have too much backspacing.
AggieDog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my share of wide tires, and I dont like them at all for any kind of wheeling so that wont be a problem. I find 9.5 to 10.5's to be the correct width for my wheeling, and climbing. Wide tires are a pain in the a @@ to drive with and they will get out climbed by a narrower tire, all other things being equal, because narrower tires have much better grip climbing. That's not to bash anyone who likes wide tires, I just didnt enjoy my experienes in the 70's with wide tires on my 73 powerwagon 4x4 3/4 ton.

I sure disappointed a friend of mine years back in his chevy 4 x 4 when I out climbed him on a steep hill. I made it to the top, and he didnt. I had a long wheelbase, and narrow mudgrips, he had a short wheel base, and 12.50 x 16 tires. Those kind of things over the years and how wide tires tend to throw you all over the road all the time have led me to always stay with a more standard width tire. But I love aggressive tread....LOL!
Towerassoc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: 2004 Rocky Mountain TJ Reply with quote

I just installed Goodyear MT 31x10.5x15 on my 2004 Rocky Mountain with 15x8 alco rims, with no rubbing problems, no lift.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AggieDog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, the Goodyear MT in a 31 x 10.5 is probably the tire I will go to. Thanks for the info.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what bout a buckshot mudder?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: