Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

stock cd player

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldog01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: stock cd player Reply with quote

Alright, I am looking at purchasing either a 2000 or 2001 jeep grand cherokee limited. Now I know some of them come with the single cd player while others come with the 10 disc changer. The thing is that I have a amp and sub that I would like to hook up without getting a different deck. Is it possible to hook up my amp and sub to this stock cd player. Cause I know on my car I had to get a different deck, so I could plug the amp into the back of the stereo (think its the RCA cables). Thanks
________
medical marijuana dispensary

Last edited by bulldog01 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
bulldog01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing, if you do have a amp and sub in your jeep, do you run your wire to the battery through the firewall, meaning you drilled a hole through the firewall or is it easier to run it around the outside, out the door and then under the hood?
________
BMW E32

bulldog01

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone?
________
buy easy vape vaporizer

Drake69

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled up the FSM for '00 Cherokee. Good news: an amp can connect to a baseline radio, so a CD or CD/cassette desk should also be able to handle one fine. Here is the placement:

AMPLIFIER
(1) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative
cable.
(2) Disengage the rear seat cushion latch by pulling
upward on the release strap. Tilt the seat cushion
forward.
(3) Lift the carpeting in the left under-seat area as
required to access the amplifier.
(4) Unplug the two wire harness connectors from
the amplifier (Fig. 5).
(5) Remove the three screws that secure the amplifier
to the floor panel.
(6) Remove the amplifier from the floor panel.
(7) Reverse the removal procedures to install.
Tighten the amplifier mounting screws to 2.8 Nm
(25 in. lbs.).

I'll post the graphic up to the board here soon, but mind you this IS from an XJ FSM. The principles of the wiring for the amp SHOULD be the same however.

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's Corey? He knows this stuff better than I do.

Since you're amp has RCA jacks, it will not hook up to the stock head without some type of adapter...and I wouldn't do that since you'd be hooking up an amp expecting fractons of a Watt to a radio putting out at least 4 Watts (most likely more than that...I think standard is 8 Watts per channel).

A lot of amps have inputs for both powered and unpowered sources...not sure what you have.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ran my power wire for the amp thru the firewall...theres a gromet on the driver side close to the engine block
Drake69

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
Since you're amp has RCA jacks, it will not hook up to the stock head without some type of adapter...and I wouldn't do that since you'd be hooking up an amp expecting fractons of a Watt to a radio putting out at least 4 Watts (most likely more than that...I think standard is 8 Watts per channel).

A lot of amps have inputs for both powered and unpowered sources...not sure what you have.

Ohh well, guess I was wrong about that, sorry.

It's what I get for using a FSM for the wrong vehicle... Rolling Eyes

Jeep'n'John

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you trying to do exactly?

Are you just wanting to use all your factory speakers in the door and add subs?
Jeep'n'John

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get what they call a "line converter". its a little device that your speaker wires from your deck wire into and give you RCA outputs. Doesnt matter what wattage your stero puts out when using these cause the signal is going to an amp anyway. Most of them even have an adjustable passive crossover in them with DIP dials like your amp. They work really well. they are usually around $20. I use two of them in my car. I have a "REAL" deck though with Front and Rear RCA's already but using the line converters i have Four sets of RCA outputs. 2 FRONT and 2 REAR.
bulldog01

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to hook up my rockford fosgate amp and my cerwin vega sub to the stock cd player or disk changer that is in a jeep.
________
Suzuki LS650 Savage history

Jeep'n'John

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I will get back to you on this

You will have to buy at least one line converter to give you an RCA output.

Tell me this though...

What year make model is your jeep???
Does it have the premium sound option?
bulldog01

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, and yes it does have the premium sound.
________
buy silver surfer vaporizer

Jeep'n'John

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry its taken so long to get back to this.....

The only thing i can think of to do this is buy a "line converter" and tapping into the speaker wires coming out of the deck.

You will have to find the rear speaker wires at the back of your stock deck. All four of them: RR- RR+ LR- LR+

Tap into those rear speaker wires somehow. Connect the wires from the converter to the speaker wire it goes to (RR- to RR- , RR+ to RR+ etc.).

And connect the BLACK wire from the converter to the metal case of the deck. Usually theres a screw you can loosen somewhere on the metal case of the deck to use.

Thats all the wires there is to connect!!! Now you plug your RCA cables into the right and left RCA sockets on the converter and into your amp.

Dont connect your Line Converter to the rear speaker wires coming out of the factory amp that go to the factory speakers. This may take away from those speakers. Although if you can determine which wires on the factory amp are the input from the deck you could tap into them there instead of tearing your dash apart to get to the back of the deck.

tool They make these really cool splices that you just snap around the wire your spliceing into and squeeze it shut. It pierces the wire leaving you a female blade terminal to plug into. Then you crimp a male terminal onto the wire you want to splice in and plug it into the splice.
bulldog01

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other question, if my amp, a rockford fosgate 201S has a high level input, can i just go from that and splice into the rear speakers. Is that kind of like having a line converter in the amp. I know in my owners manual it shows that you can hook up your amp by using the RCA outputs or by using the 4 wires through the high level input? Just wondering if I can do this instead of using a line converter, and wondering if it works the same way, that I would just have to splice into the rear speakers? Thanks.
________
herbal vaporizers

CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulldog-
Rockford has a built in High-to-Low level adapter inside the amplifier just for this situation. In the box (when you bought it) it would have had a little bag of stuff that contained connectors, fuse, screws and a 4 wire connector that has a Molex end on it. There are four wires - 1 white (left +) and 1 white w/ black stripe ( left -) and 1 grey (right +) and 1 grey w/ black stripe (right -) These are your high level inputs. Plug the connector into the female end (located on your amp usually by the RCA inputs) and splice these grey and white wires into your factory amplifier outputs (see FSM for wire diagram.) Now your Rockford amp will be seeing a signal from your factory amp and will have something to go off of. Usually the gains will have to be adjusted differently when using a high level in. The signal is stronger to start with (versus the low 3-5volt signal in an RCA) so you may have to turn it down a bit. Now your factory radio doesn't know anything different than it did before you hooked up the Rockford amp.
Good luck and if you have any more ???'s .... just ask.
CoreyXJ

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: