Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to build front bumper for 95 ZJ!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
endruojeep

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Trying to build front bumper for 95 ZJ! Reply with quote

If anyone had a write up, or even pictures of how they made a sub frame, or mounting brackets to attach a tube bumper to the unibody frame it would be greatly appreciated. I have bent my tube and made a winch mount plate, however now need to make brackets to attach it to the vehicle, Swampy, I know you said it was a pain, so if you could be of any assistance that would be great!
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITs not super hard... I used the tow hook mounts as a template..

(Do you have hooks???)

What you need is two pieces of plate about 4X16 X 1/2"
and 2 pieces that fit inside the unit frame rail about 7" long... Put one piece in the rail push it to the top and mark all the bolt holes with a pencil...(this is easily done by welding a 5" long bolt to the plates to make a handle..)
Then drill 17/32 holes thru the plate where the marks are...
and weld 1/2" nuts to the plate centered over the holes... (best to do it with the bolts in the nuts...) Clamp them to the 4X16 pieces (tops and backs should be leveland even..But make sure you have clearance up there... )
You want the piece of 1/2" stock to stick out a long way.. (You can always cut off the extra..) *Note ... 4"X 1/2" flatbar is not hard to find and can be used for most of this including inside the unit body frame rail..

Once you drill the 17/32 holes in the big pieces line them up and make sure they fit... ( you can always work the holes a little to make them work..)

Now you have the two main brackets.. I also took a piece of 2X2X3/16 angle and bolted it to the radiator rail (about 6 1/4" X 3/4 bolts and welded 2" by 3/16 flat bar to that.. So that it sticks out...

Then make your bumper and cut the pieces that stick out so that your bumper not only fits on it but is not to far away or to close for the winch to fit... (give yourself about 8" since the average winch is about 6 1/2" at the base..)
once you have the bumper made and the mounts cut to the right length to give you the distance you need to clear the winch you will have to make a plate to bolt the winch to.. I used 3/16 plate and filled in between the brackets and from the 3" plate to the bumper itself.. Then I welded it to the bumper and the mounts and overlapped the flat bar and bolted and welded it.... (bolts are just because I am nuts and wanted something to handle the stress... )

Now ..You are should be able to remove the bumper by unscrewing the mounts and the radiator support bar ...

I also ran two more supports from the bumper to the side of the front skid plate (made these out of 3" flat 1/4" thick...)

So... IF I made it sound difficult and complicated its only because......................IT IS!!rofl
Making something for a unit body rig is very hard... It has to be very secure or it will rip the frame apart...

But dont fret.....You can do it... I have faith in you....

Good luck..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Brad S

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl, how do you do it man.. your incredible! lol

Hey just wondering, is this your main hobby or do you have others cuz all this stuff costs so much..
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: