Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying a RE/BB 2" Lift for stock wrangler 4.0Lw/ "

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeepdream

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Buying a RE/BB 2" Lift for stock wrangler 4.0Lw/ " Reply with quote

I have made up my mind, with help from AggieDog, to go with the Rubicon 2" Lift. and ome shocks Very Happy Before I make my purchases, I was looking for some hints from someone who has done this. I have a stock 4.0L with the "X" package, come to find out the "X" means you get an "extra seat" (rear bench) and no extra suspension or gearing help! pissed Anyway, I'm wondering If I can get away with 32" tires or are 31"'s the biggest I can run with no other modifications needed? Confused
Thanks for the help! Wink
IBTJn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can run 32's, but are likely to rub if you disconnect the front sway bar for off road...at least on heavy flex times. You'll probably rub a bit on the control arm with a full turn of the steering wheel too...at least with stock rims. But this problem can be easily solved with a washer behind the steering stop bolt.

I ran 31's with my RE BB and never once rubbed disconnected. So if you plan on going wheelin' consider the above. Personally, flexing is part of the fun for me.

Wink
jeepdream

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the advice! Reply with quote

What did you use for shocks? Do you have any knowledge of "OME" brand?Thanks agian for the advice! Very Happy
IBTJn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I used the DT3000's that came with it. I'd heard nothing but good stuff about them. My BB is for sale in the JH For Sale section BTW. Personally, I like the OME shock better than the DT's. But I'm an old guy, and it's a softer ride. Many of the guys don't like the soft ride. The DT3000's were tighter, and someone called it "sportier" which I'd have to agree with. I just had a RE 4.5 Superflex kit installed yesterday. It has OME's on it.
Here a pic of the RE BB and the RE 4.5 I just had installed;

RE BB w/ DT3000's & 31x10.5's

RE 4.5 Superflex w/ OME w/33x12.5's

Hope that helps some.
Wink
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What tires do you want to run? With 31's you have a large assortment to choose from whereas 32's become more limited.

2" BB's are fairly simple to install. Just compleatly disconnect the swaybars before you start to lift the weight off the springs. Keep in mind that it takes quite a lift to raise the stock TJ enough to remove the coils so that you can insert the BB spacers.

There are OME shocks available for the 2" BB. Over the years I have tryed many different offroad shocks and have found that the OME work great on the Wrangler. OME valves thier shock for the weight of the actuall vehicle that they go on. Most shock companies just use the "one size fits all" valve theory....but this just dosent cut it with the Wrangler.

A close 2nd is the Edelbrock IAS shock. I had them on my last TJ and loved them on and off road with the exception during the cold months. Once the temps got below +20F they didnt damper well at all. I ran them on 1 of my Rams and found they did the same.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatWasIThinkin wrote:

There are OME shocks available for the 2" BB. Over the years I have tryed many different offroad shocks and have found that the OME work great on the Wrangler. OME valves thier shock for the weight of the actuall vehicle that they go on. Most shock companies just use the "one size fits all" valve theory....but this just dosent cut it with the Wrangler.

Big fan of the OME shocks as well. Couldn't believe the ride quality I got after tossing them on. I never tried the DT shocks, so I can't comment on them other than most folks that have run them like 'em. But I don't know how many of them have tried the OME's as well.

As far as installation goes, pretty straightforward like WWIT mentioned. To make sure you can get enough droop on the axle to get the spacers in there, I'd try and get some taller jackstands. The noramal sized ones just don't quite do the trick for the spacer install. Just keep an eye on your brake lines when everything's dropped so you don't pop them off. Hate to find out that your newly lifted Jeep won't stop Wink . I ran 32's when I had a spacer lift as well, didn't really run any hardcore crap so I didn't have any probs (aftermarket wheels with 3.75" backspacing prevented any rubbing on the insides as well). Just keep in mind your stock gearing when picking a tire out. I had 3.73's so it wasn't that bad, 3.07's might make it a bit of a dog on the road and a miserable crawl ration offroad.
AggieDog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a good writeup on installing the Rubicon 2 inch Budget Boost lift kit.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/REBB.html

If you can get another person to help you, it will go quickly.

When I decide which way to go with a tire, I just may go with the 32 inch Goodyears, because as someone stated, they really measure 31.5 inches, and that would seem to be a good compromise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: