Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just got my first jeep:)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeepdream

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Just got my first jeep:) Reply with quote

O.K., I just got my first jeep, it's a 2004 wrangler "x" 4.0L Very Happy
I want to do some modifications to it like; 4" lift and bigger rims/tires.
I am looking for some suggestions from the group as to my best plan of attack... like what size wheels and ties should I get with a 4" lift? Are there any hints to make it less painfull to my wallet? I will be using my Jeep for day to day use as well as weekend fun in the dirt and at least two to three trips to more remote "higher-ground" locations with my buds'.
Thanks, Jeepdream@cox.net
AggieDog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several very knowledgeable people on this site and they have provided a ton of info. Start looking thru the posts on TJ's relative to lifts, tires, etc.

First thing you need to take into consideration is your differential ratio.

I'm no expert, but with 3.07's and a Six cyl, I wouldnt go bigger than 31 inch tires, with a 3.73 and a six cyl, I wouldnt go bigger than 32 inch tires, and for the 33's plus, you will probably need at least 4.10 rear end or higher.

As your tire size goes up, you loose upper end performance on the highway, ie, you will need to downshift on grades, and at the same time, while out 4 wheeling your low end crawl ratio will be reduced. ie, you now have to use brakes to help on down hill, and you won't have a low enough crawl potentially on really steep hill climb's.

Once you lift a jeep past say 2 inches suspension, then you will need a slip yoke eliminator, or your transfer case / drive line/ universals etc. will wear out "fast" and vibration will occur.

Things such as a Motor mount lift, transfer case drop, need for slip yoke eliminator and potentially the need to re - gear front and rear differentials come into play. ie alot of money, so read all the posts, and the experts I am sure will jump in at some point and let you know what all you are getting into.

My advise, if you are going with a good lift and say 33 inch tires, do it right the first time.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way to go easy on the budget is to only go as big as you need. Best bet is to take it out the way it is and see what kinda probs you run into.....traction, clearance, etc? Then you have a game plan as to where to sink your cash. You might find out that you only need to get some more aggressive tread under the axles or maybe need an extra inch or two of clearance which could save you a ton in the long run. You can easily set up a TJ for under a grand to do a lot of different things, once you start getting taller and bigger tire sizes involved, everything has a cause/effect relationship which will force more mods to compensate for the ones you just added like Agg was saying. I keep saying this and it might seem like I'm being really negative, but lifting for the sake of just lifting is just a waste. If you don't need the height all you're gonna do is sacrifice ride quality, MPG, and a bunch of money to have a big Jeep sitting in the driveway. I've been running 35's for awhile now and am still trying to get everything to fall into place (it's a daily driver too)....I had things almost where they needed to be with 33's before I upgraded (yah, I'm a dumbass Mr. Green ). Only thing that kills me now is I've hardly been able to wheel making it all seem like a gigantic waste of my time and resources. I could just as easily enjoy it with 31~32's and an inch or two of lift driving back and forth to work...probably even more so Confused . Again, not trying to be a stick in the mud, just saying think things out a bit before ya dive in Smile .
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Drack said!!!

This is the reason, I'll probably never go bigger than 32" tires. Not while it's my daily driver anyhow...

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Orng Beep

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'drack wrote:
Best way to go easy on the budget is to only go as big as you need. Best bet is to take it out the way it is and see what kinda probs you run into.....traction, clearance, etc? .

This is great advice. 1st, figure out what you want to be able to do. Then figure out what you need to get you there.

We ran our stocko tires until we couldn't stand it any more. I decided to sacrifice some of my highway gear for more clearance. I went with 33's and I am planning on more lift sometime soon. I'm tired of being high centered.

But, I used to have 31's on my CJ. W/ a little more weight on the throttle, that setup never failed me.

The moral of the story is that wisdom is gained from two places, mistakes and mentors. There is enough wisdom in this site that you should be able to figure out what you need and save lots of $ in errors.

Then, if your like me, you will justify the $ you saved on less errors, and spend it in something else ie. lockers, winch, etc. Wink This is not good financial advice, but Jeepin IS a disease!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: