Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what to look for...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
el_roy1985

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: what to look for... Reply with quote

I've recently been very interested in the XJ. Mostly because it's a small SUV, has a solid front axle, affordable, and it has a pretty powerful I6. My dad also had one a long time ago so that kind of helps. Anyways I'm looking for a good one to start with for off-roading. So far I have test drivin an 89 and a 90. I think the were both Laredos.

Most recently was the 90 and I checked out 4 wheel drive and in 4lo it seemed to slip till higher RPMs then just take off. I've never really noticed this in any other 4x4 before so I'm wondering if it's normal. This happened on a street. Also I did a u-turn while giving it some gas and noticed only one wheel spun, does this mean it is an open rear end or could it still be LSD? I checked it up and down and noticed that it doesn't seem to leak much. They had the fuel pump replaced but now the fuel gauge works backwards. It has been replaced twice already and getting replaced again because of this problem. The first time was because the pump went out though. I also noticed there is no 4lo light (is that normal, it was dark i just noticed nothing lit up). Also the oil pressure gauge doesn't work so he put a mechanical one in below the dash. They are asking 2850 for it with 100,000 miles on it.

Anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks,
Jason

I'll leave all my other questions till later Mr. Green
jeepinxj

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is most likely an open rear end but an LSD may do this also. Mine slips a little in 4lo. I think that its the normal slip in the tranny but is just accentuatd by the low gears. Although a '91 would be better because of its high pinion d30 and High output 4.0, this would make for some fun... Once its lifted Very Happy As for the price, work it down. You will constantly run into little repairs that will add up. It will, however, last for a while. Mine just turned 160,000 and the only thing under the hood ive replaced was the alternator and the ps pump (KNOCK ON WOOK), and the pump was my fault. Hope that helps and welcome to the family.
T&T Performance Throttle Body Spacer
1.5" Rusty's Greasable shackles (yup, add-a-leafs do sag)
acrid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe that the only LSD was in the d44 with the tow kit from the factory. other than that, it's probably open, if it is a LSD, it probably needs new diff fluid and new LSD clutch plates.... factory LSD will wear out, and does need to be serviced. just check your rear diff to see what you have... no LSD in the d35 or C8.25 as far as i know...

i've got 170,000 on my 94 xj, although the engine has been replaced with a rebuilt.... just make sure (absolutely) that all the fluids have been changed on time, as not changing the oil is the #1 jeep killer over time... as far as cost... the o2 sensor probably needs to be replaced (60,000) as well as a good inspection on the electrical, cap rotor, wires, plugs, o2, check the exhaust manifold for rust, check the diffs. check the engine codes... enjoy.

acrid.
'94 xj 4d w- '97 4.0HO 5 speed ax15 dana 30 c8.25 ar767 15's 31" bfg MT's TBS 1", 62mm TB K&N cone flwmstr exhaust. 5" homebrew 1/2 rusty's (f) 1/2 dakota packs (r) 2d shim 2" tranny drop wilderness r-rack full spare hi-jack
el_roy1985

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a while since I posted but....

I bought an XJ.

What it has...
6" skyjacker lift
8000 ramsey winch
quick disconnect swaybar links
rebuilt engine (4.0 auto) and transfer case
custom bumpers with reciever hitches and shackles built in
bushwacker 6" fender flares
Dana 44 axles
Slip yoke eliminator
33" tires with a matching spare
APC bucket seat
and more...

The first day I had it (yesterday) I took it off roading and had to winch somebody off of a hill with a log that they got high centered on. I would have tugged them a few times but it was running like it had no power. I even had to jump it a few times prior. By the end of the night it was showing true signs of a fried alt. I I fixed that today though and it runs pretty great. I think I'll be having a lot of fun this summer.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice rig. I know you'll be having a lot of fun this summer. Wink

Good times.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
el_roy1985

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was out my first night the guys I helped said my pinion was changing angles and he said it was cause my axle was blocked and it should be fine. Although I don't think it should do this at all so would wedges fix this? Also when I brake harder (i noticed it in slippery conditions like snow) the rear end just makes a nasty noise like the pinion angle is going down to far causeing binding, which really makes me worry. Any help would be great, thanks.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_roy1985 wrote:
When I was out my first night the guys I helped said my pinion was changing angles and he said it was cause my axle was blocked and it should be fine. Although I don't think it should do this at all so would wedges fix this? Also when I brake harder (i noticed it in slippery conditions like snow) the rear end just makes a nasty noise like the pinion angle is going down to far causeing binding, which really makes me worry. Any help would be great, thanks.

When you say the axle is blocked, I assume you mean that you have lift blocks between the leaf spring and the axle? Blocks do cause axle wrap (the leaf spring forming an'S') which will cause the pinion to change angles both under acceleration and braking.

How much of the total lift are the blocks providing? Or more accuratley, what components (lift springs, shackles, AAL's, blocks) comprise the 6" of lift you have now in the rear?

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
el_roy1985

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I'm not sure how much the blocks lift the rear, but they look to be around 2 or 3 inches in size. The front end is skyjacker so I'm assuming the rear is also skyjacker. The front has spring bushings (forget what they are called) for about 2 or 3 inches of the lift. Don't know what AAL's are and for the shackles I assume they are factory I didn't look at them though. I really don't like the thought of haveing blocks either way though. I am thinking of getting six inch lift leafs or whatever other way would be better to get the six inch lift from from the leafs I have without blocks. I'm assuming it is the 4 inch skyjacker lift since they don't have a 6" lift. At least they didn't when I last looked at their site.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, it sounds like it's got the 4" lift kit with a 2" spacer in front and a 2" block in the back. Your plan to get 6" lift leaf springs is a good one and is the solution that you'll be happiest with.

Quote:
el_roy1985

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna look into pricing for a 6" leaf lift but I also took a look at my shackles and they are definately stock and not really any length to them at all. How would a 2" shackle lift perform as compared to a full leaf lift?

Thanks for all the help too.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extended shackles are usually 1.75" drop shackles. The advantage of them is they maintain the ride/feel of the existing spring packs and allow the pack to articulate/flex more. However, due to that increased flexability they will wear out the pack quicker, causing rear end sag.

If your wallet can afford it, go with the full 6" pack. You'll be much happier in the long run.

Quote:
BigDawgz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeepinxj wrote:
Although a '91 would be better because of its high pinion d30 and High output 4.0, this would make for some fun....

acrid wrote:
i believe that the only LSD was in the d44 with the tow kit from the factory.

I just wanted to comment on a few things real quick. The 91 would be a hp d30...but so would all of the others ...... all the way up to 1999. That's when they went to a low pinion d30.
As for the LSD....they had them in just about every year. I presently have 2 - 1988 XJ's. One of them has the D30 with the factory LSD...it even has a nice shiny chrome decal in the glove box stating so. It works great too. It didn't have the factory tow package....or the factory tow hooks or anything like that. Just in case you ever are wanting to know these things.
As for your pinion angle changing/moving. I've had lots of vehicles with blocks in the rear....and while it's not the best way...it works. Check your U-bolts and make sure they're good and tight....and make sure they got the springpack's pins into the holes on the perches as well. Blocks can cause some twisting/axle wrap .....but it sounds like yours is moving much more than that.
Good luck and have fun with your new toy.

Aron
el_roy1985

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K few things I found out about my truck.... (the guy gave me a paper he had that the previous owner wrote up for him about what the truck had)

It has a D44 in the back and D35 in the front 4.56 gears and lockright lockers on both ends. If I remember correctly it also said it had a Tom Woods Tranfer case conversion and rear drive shaft (what is that?) It said it had some sort of header but not installed so I'm not sure if it is installed right now. I know there is more to the list but I don't have it with me right now.

Also from personaly inspection the engine doesn't seem to have much blowby if any. I'm pretty sure there is a minor exhaust leak. There is a leak from the Tcase on the rear seal, gonna get that replaced within the month hopefully. Also I noticed there is a clicking noise from underneath when I get on the gas and I'm in some sand. Don't remember if it happens in 4wheel and 2wheel though, I just know for sure that it happens in 4wheel drive. It also doesn't happen all the time.

I need a snorkel for this beast, I went into a water hole and I was scared for the cone filter that is on it right now.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_roy1985 wrote:
If I remember correctly it also said it had a Tom Woods Tranfer case conversion and rear drive shaft (what is that?)

Basically, it has an SYE and a Tom Woods driveshaft.

el_roy1985 wrote:
Also I noticed there is a clicking noise from underneath when I get on the gas and I'm in some sand. Don't remember if it happens in 4wheel and 2wheel though, I just know for sure that it happens in 4wheel drive. It also doesn't happen all the time.

The clicking could be a bad axle u-joint or a failing unit bearing. To find out if it's a unit bearing check to see if one of the front wheels is very hot after driving (compared to the others). Generally the only two things that will get it hot are wheel bearings and a non-releasing caliper. Put the front end in the air then grab and wiggle the wheel, there should be NO movement. If there is, the bearing is letting go. You can also look for any bits of bright shiny metal around the steering knuckle, which will indicate if the bearing is self-destructing. The unit bearings are expensive (~$125 apiece) so you want to be sure that's the problem before you replace them.

Quote:
el_roy1985

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I found out that I was wrong about the clicking. It happens mostly in 2wd and in any kind of more aggressive acceleration. It happens much less in 4wd. It sounds like it is coming from around where the u joint is so I'll check that out when I replace the fuel filter within the next few days. If that's what's wrong maybe I'll get those waterproof ones they make...

Also what T-case should I have (I have selec-trac) and where can I find something on the t-case to identify it. I want to make sure I get the right seal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: