Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

242 /231 SWAP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanagro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: 242 /231 SWAP Reply with quote

I have a 98 with a 242 behind an a-500 tranny. I know this isn't popular , but I want too know what year and what type of vehicle that the transfer case will interchange without a lot of modification. The 231 is what I am thinking, just want 2,4low,4high.have had bad luck with 2 of the 242 that have been bought. help would be greatly appriciated
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you can find an XJ with the same tranny you will have a direct bolt up.. Other wise see the tech section there is a writeup on swapping input in a t case.. If you use your current input any t case is usable..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wanagro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the tc today and it has a 23 spline input. I am not afraid to swap input shafts. The thing that puzzles me is the tail shaft. looked at friends cherokee with a 231 in it and the shaft is enclosed while mine is open with a rubber boot on the slip joint. Is this something else that would need to be replaced or are there certain years that should be used if the tranny type isn't known? I do not want to pull it for a third time for not working. THANKS
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No big deal.. The over all lenght is the same its just a different design.. I have the one thats open with the Rubber boot.. Yours will work just fine..

Let me know if you have any other questions..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
grocery getter 318

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you want to sell your 242?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: