Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Death Wobble.. what's the cause?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbjonesy7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Death Wobble.. what's the cause? Reply with quote

When i'm driving my 93 GC laredo on the highway and i hit a hole or bump, my entire front end shakes like a heroin adict going thru withdrawals. I took it in to have it looked at and the guy said that my U joints are loose(i was able to see that they were). Of course i asked him if that was the cause of the Death Wobble. His reply was that everything else was in good shape except the U joints. The parts costs 14.00+. But there was no labor time listed in the manual at the shop or anything except the time to repair a spindle. He says it would take more than 2 hours to fix. Which seems crazy. Shouldn't there be a listing for the labor time on this repair. More importantly is this the part that is causing the Death Wobble or am i being taken for a ride. I read somewhere that the most likely culprit would be the caster alignment. The U joints had a little slack in them but not too much. Also, what would make a ticking sound in the front wheels when i am driving?
kitesurferinva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The U joints may be the problem, but if you have lifted your jeep or larger tires, the problem may be the steering stabelizer. I replaced mine with a monroe heavy duty one from auto zone and it has worked wonders for the shimmy I would feel when cornering, or the pendulum (sp?) effect when I hit a bump in the road.
Kitesurferinva -98 TJ 2" BB, 1" BL, Big Daddy Rocker Guards, Custom front bumper, SKBpro rear bumper w/ spare tire swing out carrier, 33x12.5 BFG MT's on 15x10 AR Outlaw II's, 2 Hella lights, warn engine and diff skids, Kilby steering skid
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check the bearings (raise the front end, grab a wheel top and bottom to see if there's any play) and make sure the track bar bolts are torqued properly.
jbjonesy7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
Also check the bearings (raise the front end, grab a wheel top and bottom to see if there's any play) and make sure the track bar bolts are torqued properly.

While at the shop, i did notice alot of play in the wheels. I guess my best bet is to get under there and tighten anything that is loose. Thanks guys. ANy other diagnosis is appreciated.
jeepzj9304

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just replace my u joints and my right wheel bearings on my 93 ZJ and the only broblem i hade was when i was in 4wd the u joints were poping and when i was on the highway there wasa a loud humming. it cost me 250 bucks to get that shit replaced and fixed. the main thing when your u joints go out is that you can mess up the yokes and chewup your axel shaft. something you should do is check your swaybar and your alignment if those are fine tire pressure can also play a factor. there are many things that could be the problem if your wheels arent mounted and torques right, if your tires are bias. my email is Jeepzj9304@aol.com if you want to know more or have any specific questions just email me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: