Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sorta newbie Grand Cherokee question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghettocruiser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Sorta newbie Grand Cherokee question Reply with quote

Well, Im not a newbie to jeeps...just to this forum. I have an XJ...but we have a grand cherokee in the family. Last night I had to pull it into the back yard...which is snowy. SO I put it in 4WD and it seemed to engage but kind of popped back out. So I put it back into 4WD and the back tires were still spinning, but the fronts werent. I heard something spinning up front. Almost like the driveshaft was spinning...but I know thats not possible. After fiddling with it back and forth between full time and part time it finally engaged in 4wd and went fine. Im not used to the NP242 case...so Im hesitant about diving into it. The specs on the Jeep are 97 laredo with a 4.0. The two things I want to check as soon as the snow melts are the linkage because I heard those are sketchy...or worse a stretched chain. Any help would be great. I did searches, but didnt really find anything. Thanks in advance...

Justin
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT is probobly just a linkage problem. That would explain it popping out of 4Wd..

The chain in a 242 is stronger than the full time planatary set.. So they tend to break more often than chain stretching...

Check the fluid in the T-case and spray the linkages with some PB blaster or something.. I am sure its fine...

The fact that it went in at all means its not a chain or case problem...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ghettocruiser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the reply. I thought about changing the fluid and all...I just have to wait for the weather to get alittle nicer. Im afraid Ill freeze to the driveway if I lay on it! I looked at it today, and I also noticed some ice up around the linkage. Im wondering if some ice just got on things enough to bind them up. Its clear now, so Im gonna check things out and try the 4wd again. Good point about the chain probably being ok. I did get good 4wd action once everything enaged. Didnt pop out again. So I guess maybe its linkage. Thanks again.

Justin
jeepzj9304

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something else it could be is the vaccum line running to the front diff its common for J.G.C.'s to pop out of 4wd just because it doesnt have the vaccum yet. i see all the time at a park i go to. mine does it when im trail riding every now and then the last time it happened to me i heard a loud pop and i thought my front drive shaft broke but really my front u joint went out. they also wrote an article about it a while back in petersons 4wheel and off road
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: