Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange vibe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeepdream

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Strange vibe Reply with quote

I just installed my 2'' Budget boost that I bought from "IBTJn" Very Happy But now I have this strange vibe at very low speeds Crying or Very sad You don't even have to be in gear to hear it. I can really hear it when coast to a slow stop. Confused I think it might be the drive shaft. pissed Any suggestions? Confused
Thanks, jeepdream Very Happy
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some TJ's can get vibes even from just a mild BB.

A couple things to concider.

Look at the driveshaft and make sure its not contacting the skid. It will leave a clean line on the shaft if its been rubbing.

Check to make sure that all the coils are seated properly into the BB spacers. This probably isnt the problem but it can happen.

Worst case is you may need to start shimming the tcase skid with some washers. This drops the Tcase a little and straightens the driveline angle a little bit and should remove the vibes. Usually with a BB all it takes is 1 or 2 wahers stacked to take care of the problem.

Another way to possible stop the vibes is to install a 1" MML. This will also help correct the driveline angle. But the MML creates other minor issues to work around, unless you install a 1" BL at the same time.

Mr. Green See where this is going? Modding Jeeps is an Action/Reaction thing. What ever you change requires more changes. And it can get addictive too rofl

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, I had some minor vibes with mine when I ran a BB. Didn't bother fixing it since I was a) lazy and b) knew I'd be going taller and would address it then. Obviously I shoulda done the washer trick as even a small vibe is a bad vibe. What rear axle do ya have? Seems to be more prone to happening to TJ's with the D44/5spd combo.
AggieDog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the Rubicon BB lift on my 04 TJ with the six cyl, 5 speed manual, and D44 rearend and had no vibes at all. But, I have the jeeperman rear bumper, tire swingaway, and jamboree rack/GI can holders, and a Warn bumper on the front. I wonder if the added weight (read: sag) kept me from getting any vibes?
04 Rocky Mtn Edition TJ, 4.0 L 5 Speed Manual, D44 rearend,4.56 gears, Jeeperman rear bumper, swingaway, Jamboree rack, Warn front bumper, Warn steering box skid plate, Warn oilpan skidplate, Rubicon 3.5 lift, Warn CE M8000 winch.
jeepdream

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: re: strange vibe Reply with quote

I should have mentioned that I had this vibe prior to installing the BB lift. Now it's just seems much more prominate. I looked at the driveline and it seems to be clear with no obvious rubbing. What's really strange is that, the slower I go the more prominate it is. My rig has never been lifted or modified that I know of (bought it used). I got it with 4,000 miles on it and it is STOCK. As far as putting on washers? Will that cause anythig else to change? The reason I went with a BB lift is so I could run a larger tire (to achive more ground clearance) without rubbing and I wouldn't have to change much else. Is this going to be a pandora's box? shock I'm starting to understand the phrase "what was I thinking!" Oh what the hell; it's only money, right? I'm going down to get a new rear bumper this week. Smile I was going to replace the front as well but I removed those plastic end caps and I looks pretty good now. Cool I got some tow hooks and window light brackets and......."You get the idea." Wink
Thanks for the great advice!! Very Happy
jeepdream Smile
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, what year is your rig? How many miles on it?

Vibes before lift can come from a couple things. Brakes rubbing severly will cause that..and the obvious pull to one side that goes with it. Mud can get into the brake piston seals and cause them to not retract like normal.

Or

Could be front track bar has loosened up. Both ends on it need to be tight....like gorilla tight.

Or

Some other front end related issue. Poor allignment, loose or warn tierod ends, cupped tires can also create vibes.

Or

Badly worn u-joints

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
jeepdream

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vibe Reply with quote

My rig is a 2004 with 9,000 miles on it.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeepdream, he is right. Many things can cause what you described. Even nobby tires can be mistaken as a vibe...especially at a low speed. The other tires I had were just like that...only not as bad as I'm reading yours is. I don't think you mentioned if you'd swapped tires or not yet...and that you are still running 30x9.5's, right?

Follow "WhatWasIThinkin's" advice. Start with the simple stuff that should be done afterward anyway...like the alignment (if I may suggest). For me, the washers on the TC case took care of the vibes on mine ('02 D44), the front end alignment did the rest.

Let us know how it goes.
Wink
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeepdream, any progress on the vibe problem? Let us know.

Wink
jeepdream

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Strange vibe Reply with quote

I got my new rims and tires today!! Very Happy Looks great!! Cool The strange vibe is gone? Very Happy I had them give my rig a complete service while they placed on the new rims and tires and the strange vibe is no more! Very Happy I found a good deal on 32" BFG Muds' Cool No rubbing! Smile I'm taking it out this weekend for a real test drive. I give you guys a full report as well as send you a photo of my rig. I can't thank you guys enough for all of the great sound advice!!
S.Y.O.T.T. jeepdream
IBTJn

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Strange vibe Reply with quote

jeepdream wrote:
I got my new rims and tires today!! Very Happy Looks great!! Cool The strange vibe is gone? Very Happy I had them give my rig a complete service while they placed on the new rims and tires and the strange vibe is no more! Very Happy I found a good deal on 32" BFG Muds' Cool No rubbing! Smile I'm taking it out this weekend for a real test drive. I give you guys a full report as well as send you a photo of my rig. I can't thank you guys enough for all of the great sound advice!!
S.Y.O.T.T. jeepdream

Awesome!!! Look forward to seeing some pics'! thumbs

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: