Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RANT: The Amityville Horror

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drake69

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: RANT: The Amityville Horror Reply with quote

This is an approprietly named movie, because for those people who know the story or who have actually READ the book, this bastardization is the WORST PIECE OF CRAP I'VE EVER WATCHED. There are so many things WRONG with this movie I can't begin to explain.

Despite the fact that this movie proports to be based on the true story of the Lutzes and their 28 days of terror living at 112 Ocean Ave., there is a lot of artistic liscense being taken liberally with even the semi-fictional book written by Jay Anson. If they had stuck more closely to the book, at least with the supernatural BASING that the book establishes, it would have been a more enjoyable experience.

Switching this around, let's assume for a moment that we should look at this movie as if no one has ever read the book or seen any of the previous movies. Just looking at this movie like a regular haunted-house genre movie is a complete mess. Without spoiling anything, the scares are wholly predictable and at times hilarious without meaning to be.

Considering I am very objective and lenient when watching movies and their sequels (I'm one of the few people in the world that thinks The Hulk movie wasn't that bad of a rendition of the green beast...), halfway through the movie I switched gears on myself and tried to watch this mess like I knew nothing about the story. Without giving anything away, I can tell you guys the fear tactics have been done literally to death in other movies, and far better than this.

Now, for those of you that have read all the way through my post, you can plainly see I didn't outline the faults of this movie, the plotline versus the back-story, ANYTHING to spoil the movie. The reason for this is some of you may still want to go see this thing, and I hate spoiling a movie, ANY movie, for others. But I STRONGLY RECOMMEND you watch the original "Amityville Horror" that came out in 1979 with James Brolin and Margot Kidder before going anywhere NEAR this beast. At least with that rendition it's pretty accurate, at least in context, with the Jay Anson book. If you still want to watch this movie, then proceed afterwards, but be prepared for a shock, the financial-kind, NOT the SCARY-KIND, as you just realized you spent $5.50 on a crappy piece of garbage. I'll wait until after the movie runs its nasty course through the theaters before I REALLY CUT INTO IT.

Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I paid $5.50 for a movie I'd be happy!

My Morning Jacket
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithtj wrote:
If I paid $5.50 for a movie I'd be happy!

Yeah realy true rofl

It looked like a rank flic anyway. I read the book whan I was a kid and it was creepy and the James Brolin movie version was ok too.

But back to the prices they charge.....holy shit Batman shock It costs some serious cash to see movies at the theaters now. I started going back to the theaters a couple years ago more regularly. Certain movies I can wait and see on DVD at home. Whats the wait for DVD's now? They come out @2-4 months after the theatrical run, so I can wait for most. But there are certain ones that need to been seen or heard in a theater. In my area super comfy stadium seating theaters are poping up in a big way. All the best technology for visuals and sound, so Ive been going more often than I used to.

But the new theaters come with the big price tags. Movies ussually run $7. Most theaters only get .50 on an average from ticket sales nowadays so we have to foot the bill for the new fancy theaters.

But $9 farking bucks for a small soda and small popcorn? WTF? On top of that in NH we have meals tax of 7%...and a soda and popcorn at the movies is concidered a meal Shocked ??? Well I guess in Ethiopia where
there starving I guess it might be a kings feast...but in NH? rofl A buddy of mine likes taking his 3 kids to see movies at least once or twice a month and it costs him close to $100. His 2 boys are growing teens and eat like frigging.....well teenagers, and that dosent include dinner at PizzaHut or KFC beforehand.

I havent been since Xmas time to see a show. Nothing has sparked my interest and Im saving myself for a certain space flick coming out in may. I wont be one of the sick bastards that stands in line with a plastic POS lightsaber in one hand and my little wookie in the other.... rofl

And that brings me to another one Mr. Green Has anyone becides me seen the total nutjobs that are allready waiting in line so that they can be the first of the sick bastards to see EpisodeIII? The gawddam movie wont be out till May 19 and their have been kids camped out in front of movie houses for weeks allready. Where the hell are thier parents? How can they afford to camp out in front of a theater for 2 months.....How much geekness can 1 person have to do this? I certainly wont want to be sitting next to them after going bathless for a couple months and body sprays arent that good to cover up that stench.

I may see it once or twice...well maybe a few more than that, but I will be clean and deorderized for the occasion.

There endeth the rant. Cool

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to see a movie while in Syracuse a few years ago and paid about $8 per ticket which was only a little bit more expensive than in Louisville. The kicker was at the concession stand where I paid $30 for popcorn, two sodas, and 2 things of candy. The 16 y/o pizza faced kid looked at me and told me my total, I said to, do you want me to bend over so you can stick it up my ass some more. He didn't get the joke or reference! I refuse to purchase food at any concession stands, after working in sports and seeing how those things are ran. shock shock
Stay away from them all!

My Morning Jacket
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell trying going to a movie with a wife and 3 kids Shocked !! We'll wait for it come out on DVD and then buy it or rent it.
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: RANT: The Amityville Horror Reply with quote

Drake69 wrote:
This is an approprietly named movie, because for those people who know the story or who have actually READ the book, this bastardization is the WORST PIECE OF CRAP I'VE EVER WATCHED. There are so many things WRONG with this movie I can't begin to explain.

Despite the fact that this movie proports to be based on the true story of the Lutzes and their 28 days of terror living at 112 Ocean Ave., there is a lot of artistic liscense being taken liberally with even the semi-fictional book written by Jay Anson. If they had stuck more closely to the book, at least with the supernatural BASING that the book establishes, it would have been a more enjoyable experience.

Switching this around, let's assume for a moment that we should look at this movie as if no one has ever read the book or seen any of the previous movies. Just looking at this movie like a regular haunted-house genre movie is a complete mess. Without spoiling anything, the scares are wholly predictable and at times hilarious without meaning to be.

Considering I am very objective and lenient when watching movies and their sequels (I'm one of the few people in the world that thinks The Hulk movie wasn't that bad of a rendition of the green beast...), halfway through the movie I switched gears on myself and tried to watch this mess like I knew nothing about the story. Without giving anything away, I can tell you guys the fear tactics have been done literally to death in other movies, and far better than this.

Now, for those of you that have read all the way through my post, you can plainly see I didn't outline the faults of this movie, the plotline versus the back-story, ANYTHING to spoil the movie. The reason for this is some of you may still want to go see this thing, and I hate spoiling a movie, ANY movie, for others. But I STRONGLY RECOMMEND you watch the original "Amityville Horror" that came out in 1979 with James Brolin and Margot Kidder before going anywhere NEAR this beast. At least with that rendition it's pretty accurate, at least in context, with the Jay Anson book. If you still want to watch this movie, then proceed afterwards, but be prepared for a shock, the financial-kind, NOT the SCARY-KIND, as you just realized you spent $5.50 on a crappy piece of garbage. I'll wait until after the movie runs its nasty course through the theaters before I REALLY CUT INTO IT.

So.....um you DIDN'T like it? Mr. Green

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it and I thought it sucked to...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General BS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: