Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noise when in neutral with clutch out on a TJ.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fat_Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Noise when in neutral with clutch out on a TJ. Reply with quote

Has anybody ever had this noise? Like a rattling noise. I test drove one Jeep and it had this, took it to the trans shop and they said it was bearings in the trans. Supposedly it would be $1300 to fix. That jeep only had 40,000 miles on, was a 2000, but it had a 4 inch lift and 33's. Well, I ended up going with another Jeep, also 4 inches and 33's, but a 2003 and 28,000, and it makes the same noise. So is this something anyone else has experienced? It seems odd that two jeeps in a row had this, and that it could really be the same thing, especially as low mileage as the 03 is. And next question, is factory warranty voided with a lift? Because it still is covered by factory warranty, and if this is the case, and there really is a problem, then I can get it fixed with the warranty.

Any help is neccessary. I believe that the trans is the NV4550? 5 speed. According to the trans guy, they are a great trans, but for having issues with the bearings. Is he telling the truth here? I haven't seen anything on the boards about this, so help me out here. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The transmission in the 2000s, the NV3550 or whatever it's technical designation is, is known to be noisey in neutral with the clutch out.
Fat_Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if the trans is a NV3550, then I need not worry? That would certainly be good news to me!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily. The tranny is known to have a certain amount of noise when in neutral and clutch out. However, that doesn't mean that your noise is the same thing....especially since we can't listen to your noise on the other side of the country.
Fat_Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it oddly sounds louder from in the vehicle. When I open the door and try to listen from the outside, I can barely hear it. On the 00 i tested, you could clearly hear it inside or out of the vehicle. Maybe I am just worrying too much about it.

Like I think I said, it is still under warranty, but wondering if they will blame it on the lift and not cover it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: