Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rubicon Rims on Goodyear 31's MT's Price????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AggieDog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Rubicon Rims on Goodyear 31's MT's Price???? Reply with quote

Guys, I just ran into a person who just bought a Rubicon, and he doesnt want the tires and rims, he wants to go 33 or 35 with a 4.5 lift.

I dont want to go highter than 31's or maybe 32's on my 04 TJ. My question is, this guy initially said he would take 800 dollars for all 5 tires and rims.

A) is it worth it? the tires are new, and

B) with this being a 16 inch rim, does that give me any advantage wheeling?

and

C) Can you put a 32 inch tire on this rim ok?

In other words, should I jump on it? I think I can get him to go 700 or 750 anyway.......

Thoughts

My current rims are the Alcoa 15 inch by 8 inch alluminum rims that came on my Rocky Mtn Edition.
04 Rocky Mtn Edition TJ, 4.0 L 5 Speed Manual, D44 rearend,4.56 gears, Jeeperman rear bumper, swingaway, Jamboree rack, Warn front bumper, Warn steering box skid plate, Warn oilpan skidplate, Rubicon 3.5 lift, Warn CE M8000 winch.
AggieDog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN A NUTSHELL, here is my take:

If all I ever wanted to do is run 31's and I wanted the Goodyear MT's then this would be an acceptable deal. However, I can put BFG AT KO's on my current rims in 31 inch configuration and keep my current rims, of which I think look better.

Further, if I wanted to go to a 32 inch size tire, with the exception of the super swampers, I would need new rims with 3.75 back spacing.

So, I am not particulary obsessed with Goodyear MT's, and as such, it probably is not worth consideration.

Earth to jeepers, anybody home?............LOL
04 Rocky Mtn Edition TJ, 4.0 L 5 Speed Manual, D44 rearend,4.56 gears, Jeeperman rear bumper, swingaway, Jamboree rack, Warn front bumper, Warn steering box skid plate, Warn oilpan skidplate, Rubicon 3.5 lift, Warn CE M8000 winch.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good price for 5. I sold mine for $1200 over a year ago when the demand was a little higher than it appears to be now.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's a great price given their like new condition and the demand for Moab wheels and stock MTRs. Even if you didn't want to use them, make a deal and then resell them. You can easily get $1000-$1200 for them, especially on eBay.

I prefer 16" wheels for a couple reasons.
1. Generally, they have better backspacing specs to keep the tires tucked under the flares as much as possible. Most 15" alloy wheels have 3.75" or worse. These stick out too much in the strick PA motor vehicle code. I don't like extremely wide flares either due to the table-look they give to the rear fenders.

2. Generally, the tires for 16" wheels are more proportional for a Jeep. I personally believe 12.5" wide tires are too wide for a Jeep, due to it's light weight. 33s in equivalent metric sizes for 16" wheels can be had in 10", 11" and 12.5" width. In addition, you have some nice intermediate sizes like a 295/75R16 which equates to about a 33.5"x11", stuff that's not available in floatation sizes for 15" wheels.

Yes, the wheels and corresponding tires cost more. To some people, this matters. To me, I don't care and will spend the extra to have a perfectly setup system.

Yes, there is less sidewall. It's only 1/2" difference and I doubt, given the same sidewall rating, that anyone could tell the difference offroad with 1/2" less sidewall. On the street, this 1/2" less sidewall should make the vehicle handle better with less sidewall flex. But again, I doubt anyone could tell the difference.

Where the difference in tires for 15" and 16" wheels is really important though, is sidewall rating. 16" tires typically have much higher sidewall ratings. This translates to stiffer sidewalls which resist flexing as much as a similar sized tire for 15" wheel.
AggieDog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He says it will be a month or two before he gets his lift on. I told him to give me a call, I may grab them at that time.

Thanks for responding.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: