Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whiny Axle or Drivetrain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vegan_jeep_man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Whiny Axle or Drivetrain Reply with quote

I have an í87 Wrangler with (what I think is) an axle or drive train problem. At speeds higher than 15 mph, the front axle begins to whine. It sounds like a dog whistle, but usually much louder. The whine gets much worse in warm or wet weather. When it is cold and dry, it doesnít whine at all. Road conditions or steering actions donít make any difference. Has anyone else had this problem?

One of my repair manuals (Haynes or Chilton) lists the problem as a faulty universal joint, but I would like to know if anyone else has a suggestion.

As soon as I get the chance, I am going to raise it up on jack stands, put it in 4wd and have someone run it at 15mph to help me locate the problem more precisely, but it would be great if anyone can suggest anything else that I should look for before I begin. Thanks.
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drop your skid plate, drop your front drive axle and grease the dickens out of that double joint where it connects to the transfer case first. While your at it might as well replace the two Ujoints there, if you so dare.

Replace the lower joint at the axle and see if that doesn't correct your problem too.
Warn X8000i winch, Warn Rock Bumpers
RE 4.5"Super Flex Lift
AA HD SYE
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Shrockguards
Tellico & Windrock Tested & Customized!!!!
vegan_jeep_man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. I will probably go ahead and swap out those ujoints while I am at it. I am hoping that I don't come across any big surprises. The previous owner put a 2 inch leaf spring shackle suspension lift and a 3 inch body lift on it. I wonder if he made the drivetrain adjustments? If not, I could have more work to do than I would like.

Any other ideas, anyone?
bmeyst

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a similar problem. fom the front end. whine never stops and starts at about 15 mph! my mechanich tells me its the wheel bearings and he's never stered me wrong B4!!! check those out !!
vegan_jeep_man

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmeyst! Thank you for the tip! I've been bogged down lately chasing some other annoyances, so I haven't finished diagnosing this problem; but your suggestion sounds promising. Do you have a YJ? What are you going to do about your own whine?
bmeyst

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no i have a GCL 97' quadratrac. i'm looking right know to see how difficult the work is and at the worst take it back to my mechanic!! i don't trust my self to do serious work so i guess we'll see how it goes!!
vegan_jeep_man

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes don't have enough time to do my own repairs, so stuff gets left undone, but a mechanic once told me that "anyone can be a parts replacer," and that's become my motto. Now if only I could track down this electrical problem with my brake lights.... Confused
bmeyst

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a few minor electricals myself mainly the interior lights. wish i could help you there man
Orng Beep

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your whistle like a vacume leak whistle?

I had an '88 YJ w/ a whistle up front. I tightened the intake bolts. No more whistle. I took me a couple of weeks to find it and a couple of seconds to fix it.

I'm not a mechanic so, just a suggestion.
vegan_jeep_man

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what it is yet. I still haven't diagnosed it yet. So I will check out the vacuum connections also. But I doubt I will find the problem there because the whine is associated with wheel speed, not engine rpm. It is also intermittent and associated with weather conditions. In fact, it hasn't whined at all over the winter while it has been cold and dry. It is starting to whine a bit again now that spring has come and the weather is warmer and wetter, but even so, the whine is much less loud and consistent than last year. So it does sound like a lubrication problem of some kind, either in the drivetrain or wheel bearings. The problem was easy to ignore over the winter while it was in remission, but now that it is speaking up again I will probably make time to track it down and fix it soon.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wheel bearing swap is pretty much the same for any Jeep (unless it has manual hubs) so check out the Grand Section for the breakdown on how its done...

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
vegan_jeep_man

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, man. Nice ride! Shocked
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome and Thank you.. Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: