Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nervous Ninny

View previous topic :: View next topic  
calepo

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Nervous Ninny Reply with quote

Hi all! New to the forum. Looks like a great place to get some information and a little added advice. While I'm not a novice, I wouldn't consider myself an expert either!

While offroading this weekend, a group of us encountered a REALLLY steep down hill that was rather long with a couple of dips with rocks in the center. Three of us decided to try another day. I was one of them. A little later on in the trip, we had a shorter downhill that was a piece of cake! So, now I want to go back and tackle the 'big guy'.

I'm driving a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with rock sliders and (moderate) offroad tires. Any words of wisdom or advice? I know to go in 4-lo and stay off of the brakes, except to perhaps keep momentum down and that if I start sliding, I should get off of the brakes.

Thanks, all!
JdawgZJ

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use first gear too!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JdawgZJ wrote:
use first gear too!

Oh yeah...forgot to mention that! Of course! Embarassed
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you feel the back getting light give it gas.. If you use the brakes use them very lightly .. The tranny in low and the transfer case in low should keep you going slow... Keep your foot on the brake but like I said very lightly .. You dont want it to get away from you..

Like I said.. .If you hit a bump and your rear starts getting light.. The best thing you can do is give it some gas and hang on... Because it will be much better to go down the hill a little fast rather than go down it on your roof.. Mr. Green

Now .....Read all that and get out there and hit that hill.. You will be amazed at what the grand can handle.. The long(ish) wheelbase is very good on hills..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JdawgZJ

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp boy wrote:

Now .....Read all that and get out there and hit that hill.. You will be amazed at what the grand can handle.. The long(ish) wheelbase is very good on hills..

Carl

yeah i like how the grande has a longish wheel base but not TOO long like some trucks...ive seen some long wheel base trucks get stuck on the easiest things haha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I DID it and it was GREAT! Ready to go do it again, only this time I think I'll go UP and then DOWN again. Very Happy I know the Cherokee is capable, it's the IBTW (idiot behind the wheel) that was holding things up. It's amazing though. I guess my compound granny isn't as low as I expected. When I went over the hill, she seemed to drop REALLY fast. I did use the brakes, but when she started to slide I got off of them and it wasn't really a problem.

Thanks for all of your comments and support!

Cathy
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Green Got any pics... Mr. Green

Wheeling of course... Shocked

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: