Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

newby here. with questions.. front noise related..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jc723

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: newby here. with questions.. front noise related.. Reply with quote

hello everyone. i got a 95 grand cherokee. there is a loud noise coming from the engine bay. lower part of the engine bay. it starts as soon as the engine its idling and the noise is faster as the speed goes up. anyone know what can i begin to check?

also my oil gauge bounces up and down. the more i drive the lower it bounces. any ideas??

thanks alot
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmmmmm..... What size engine??? what kind of noise??? The whole oil pressure dropping thing sounds bad... I am not sure what noise you are talking about but it almost sounds like you are talking about a low in knock .....Possibly from a spun bearing on the crank which would probobly cause your oil pressure to drop...

When is the last time you changed oil??

Or better yet... Drop your exhaust .. Drop the oil pan.. Change the oil pump..
(be sure to prime it first .) then while you have the pan off.. Pull your bearing caps.(ONe at a time and be very careful not to get them dirty.. Not even a little dirty...

Check each bearing for scoring and alignmnet and put them back if they are good... If you are lucky you wont have any scored journals on your crank.. And you can just replace the oil pump and go along with your life..

Good luck..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jc723

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like somethin its hitting/knocking. and its a 5.2

damn so it looks like in for a good one.. if its the bearing.. then what would i have to do?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start with the oil pump and check the bearings...
If the bearings look scored or the crank journals are scored you might as well rebuild the engine.. Get the crank reground and rering.. If you do it yourself (minus machine work) you can rebuild an engine for about $300
Check out Jegs they sell rebuild kits for a good price.. You only need a few specialty tools to do it.. Ring clamp and a cylinder hone are really the only tools that you will only use for this kind of work everything else is just standard tools...

Get yourself a Haynes or Chilton manual and drop the oil pan and check stuff out.. If you have a camera take pictures of your crank and bearings..
(Like I said dont get them mixed up either position or direction...)

Good luck..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: