Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'98 GC 4.0L swap into a '93 XJ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JWA

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: '98 GC 4.0L swap into a '93 XJ? Reply with quote

Incidentally I'm new here. So here's my dilemma-the basic facts:

A) '93 XJ w/ 255k all original-4.0L HO is making LOTS of noise(maybe it's the 50 weight) and still makes lots of power. The AW4 has intermitent issues in overdrive but 80% or more of the miles are hard towing on this vehicle so I'm not complaining. Vehicle has factory tow and off-road package. Everything is stock for the most part.

B) '98 Grand Cherokee has 111K-4.0L HO has never made lots of power so it seems but for all I know its the junk tranny that is going out. In addition I just replaced the T-Case(242) with a reman from Transfer Case Express in Oakland, CA. Most importantly though this vehicle was totaled last week by a cute little 16yo with no drivers license when she plowed into it doing 50mph in a Cavalier. The Jeep was parked and the damage is all rear end to mid body. So, this leaves the drive train intact and working.

I settled the insurance claim today and went to the trouble of "retaining" the GC for the low, low price of $800. My thinking-and this was based on some communication with my favorite technical mechanic-was to swap the motor from the GC to the old and tired '93 XJ, breath some life it and maybe get another year or two out of it. This evening I swung by the garage and he seemed to get cold feet on me. I think he realized that the tranny/t-case/motor could be a potential problem. I am not interested in major modifications-I don't need to prove anything as I'm sure this is possible. My head is spinning now because I'm not sure what combination will work best. I love my AW4 tranny in the XJ but it's oh so tired and yet the other tranny is even worse. But, will the "new" 242 t-case bolt up to the AW4 if I yank the 231 out(which still works fine incidentally) Shocked . And, most important of all, will the bell housing and the newer motor bolt up. Will the newer motor mount into the old '93 easily? How many components can I transfer. Why did I do this? I'm making myself sick with all the possibilities.

Sorry for the book but at least all the info is there.

HELP IN LAPORTE!
JWA

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Okay fellas.... Reply with quote

let me introduce myself then. My name is Jay-I live in NW Indiana. I am a hunting and fishing guide. I used to live in the UP of Michigan which was the ultimate off-roaders paradise. Not so much mud-bogging but high speed logging roads and rocks.

I have owned an XJ since 1989. I have done everything in them and everything to them. I've sunk them in lakes and streams, rolled them over, crashed them, hit trees and critters of all kinds, climbed near verticle sand and rock and used to run my old one at 80mph+ on logging roads hitting hills and jumping 30 to 40 feet at a time. The only thing I haven't had to do is change a motor which is pretty amazing seeing as I beat the heck out these Jeeps. The tranny/t-case issues are trivial. I was just looking for some input...surely out of 27 views somebody has some feedback for me?
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi & welcome!! I would stay with the 231 and sell the 242 but thats my two cents 231 has more parts available and kits etc for SYE. As far as the motor, might have to switch manifolds (exhaust and intake) and sensors for the XJ wirring harness, but I could be wrong??
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AW4 bellhousing should bolt right up to the 4.0. The engines should also be interchangable...the only thning might be differences between the GC and the XJ motor/tranny mounts.

The biggest issue is the computers/sensors. The '93 is an OBDI system and the '98 is an OBDII. Retrofitting the 98 motor into the 93 will be a lot easier than the other way around....so it's not an impossible task.

Either t-case should bolt right up. Lots of people swap out 231's for 242's (since the 242 has the full time option)...that's more common of a swap than going back to a 231. There are more 231's out there, but parts for both can be readily found. I've seen SYE kits for both at the same price.

HTH

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JWA

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Thanks fellas... Reply with quote

I appreciate the feedback. It doesn't sound like that big of a deal but the fact that I have to pay somebody to do it makes it a little less palatable. I haven't done anything with and the guy that's storing it is getting a little impatient. I'll let you know what I end up doing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: