Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front Axle/Differential Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeatUpJeep

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Front Axle/Differential Problem Reply with quote

Perhaps, you folks can help? I recently installed new front axle seals because of a leak I was having. When I reinstalled all the components and filled her back up with oil, I started having problems. When I shift into 4WD the whole car vibrates badly when going down the road. It won't roll under it's own weight and doesn't appear to be shifting out of 4WD. When I reached under the car, the front axle and diff assembly were extremely hot! I'm not sure what's going on or what I need to troubleshoot. Any help would be great. Just a little background on what I did to the car: Removed both front axles, intermediate axle and collar, axle shifter as well as the differential carrier. (I think that's what's it called) The seals went in fine. Everything seemed to turn easy when I had it opened. I refilled with the correct amount and type of oil. What do I need to do now? I suspect the front axle shift assembly is not disengaging. Would that cause the symptoms I've described? Thanks to all who look and respond.
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you may have put the shifter fork assembly back in incorrectly
BeatUpJeep

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've opened up the diff cover, pulled the axles and removed the shift lever. There is not metal shavings or signs of stress. It looks as though the shift lever was installed correctly. However, I did notice that when engaged in 4WD, the collar was very hard to disengage. Would a healthy supply of axle grease help out?
DesertYJ

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you pull the entire carrier out when you replaced the seals?
Have you ever done this before? You need to know what you are doing when completing this job or pay someone to do it. You should not have had to pull the carrier to change the seals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: