Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad gas mileage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abeck

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Bad gas mileage Reply with quote

Can anyone help with this issue. I bought a '98 TJ new with 215s and was getting 19mpg. Put 30" mt's (now 31 at's) and got 17mpg. Then gas mileage dropped to 14mpg. Found out header was cracked, replaced it and was getting 17mpg again with cold-air and throttle body spacer. 2 years later back to 14 mpg. Tried new exhaust (flowmaster, and new O2 sensors) and still at 14mpg. Any suggestions?? I have already cleaned K&N FPIK 2 and changed plugs and wires and checked tire pressure. Only thing i can think of is fuel filter but its inside the gas tank and would be a major pain besides i don't think just the fuel filter would drop it that much. I also have a leak in my radiator???

any help would be much appreciated as we almost hit $3 a gallon here last month!!
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

being that it is a wrangler and they are very square, your windshield is being the biggest gas mileage hog. its flat and grabs all the wind it can and the mud terrains grab more air is it an auto or manual? autos drink more gas and do you have a lift? other than that when was the last time you changed the fuel filter, plugs and plug wires? i did all three on my grand and it helped me out some
abeck

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: 1fox2go response Reply with quote

Its manual, 2" lift, the tires are all-terrains now, plugs, wires, cap and rotor changed 15K miles ago. Fuel filter is located inside gas tank so i don't want to go there. Lift/tires/air-intake, etc were all on and getting 17mpg, then the gas mileage dropped. Actually had a congo rack on before when i was getting 17, less air resistance now.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked for any error codes? or taken it to a dealer to plug it in and see if they can locate something.

For it to drop from 17 to 14 without any reason seems odd.

Im thinking that it may be something with a fuel senser causing the engine to use more fuel. Air leaking into the intake tract can do this also. Could be something as simple as a TB gasket leak. Or intake manifold gasket leak. If any senser see's to much air the EPU then enrichens the fuel. This can be going on and you wont notice any power differences.....but gas milage suffers.

A quick way to check for intake leaks is by spraying a small amount of carb cleaner in the area of the TB or at the Intake manifold gaskets. Do this with the engine at idle....amd mahe sure that the air tube is in place and tight so none of the carb cleaner gets sucked in there. If any air is getting past a gasket...spraying small amounts of carb cleaner near the leak will cause the engine to rev up breifly.

Good luck

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Gamgan

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,new to the boards and just got my first jeep a few weeks ago , a 98TJ Sahara

How do I check what my MPG are?
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divide the number of miles driven by the gallons of gas used. You'll get more accurate results if you average over several tanks.
Gamgan

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 5 speed standard, which Im just learning to drive, always had automatic.

Wont my inexperience at standard make me consume more gas than an experienced driver?
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might, but you're not regularly revving the engine to 5000 RPM are you? Wink
You'll be fine and hopefully you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.
TJgirl

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

both my Jeeps I have had and have, tJ's all eat gas, is there a Jeep out there that doesn't? thats just the way it is!
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamgan wrote:
I have a 5 speed standard, which Im just learning to drive, always had automatic.

Wont my inexperience at standard make me consume more gas than an experienced driver?
It'll take some time, but you'll begin to feel the engine and when to shift. Mine has that stupid shift up light that comes on all the time. I ignore it. It would lug the engine if I was to follow it. Many disable it. Nevertheless, the only way you'll get comfortable with driving it is with practice. There may even come a time when you prefer a manual over automatic. For the fuel mileage, CJ's, YJ's, and TJ's seldom get decent fuel mileage...even with the 4 cylinder. They are too boxy and non-aerodynamic. With the top off though, mine works better...and I'm sure your's will too! Very Happy

Wink
Gamgan

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testing mine out to see what her MPG is, last night put 61 liters into her ( for $35 ouch)

Think my TJ98 Sahara is supposed to come with a 19 gal tank

Will be taking my tank down to half, writing down the miles, rinse and repeat a few times so I can get an avarage.
Frontman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check also for leaky vacuum hoses or the PCV hose. Also check your ignition timing. Having your timing back by a degree or two can make a difference in mileage.
rubicondon53

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to improve your fuel mileage, is to drive 65. I have an 04 rubi, with Rock-it air intake, on my last road trip to Ohio, I pulled 18.7 mph on the way out & that is with a prevailing head wind, on the way back, I got an unbelievable 19.2.

On another trip to Va Beach, I was in a litle more of a hurry, and ran @ speeds above 70mph, & the mpg dropped way down, 14 - 14.5.

The wind resistence is an exponential formula, much like earthquake measurements. & lets face the facts, we are driving a brick down the road.

I also do not burn cheap gas, that 3cents less a gallon @ cheapo charlies
just does'nt burn as clean & pure as the higher grades. I base this on the operation of performance engines, over the course of my life.

hilift hilift

04 rubi, 2" lift, racks on top & rear, for camping gear, cold air intake.. off we go into the wild wild north!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: