Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Limited axle upgrade choices

View previous topic :: View next topic  
A/T GRANDY

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Limited axle upgrade choices Reply with quote

Hello from Malaysia .

What would be the ideal way to upgrade the axles of a 97 ZJ 1-6 42RE NP249 D30 & D35 ( 3.07 ) for moderate off road use ?

Over here there are no Ford 9" , Dana 44 , Dana 60 etc laying in junkyards . The only axles from other Jeeps available in Malaysia are from XJs with Chrysler 8.25" or the same Dana 35 but with a HP D30 .

Like to find out would axle kits like Super 30/35 from Superior Gear ( if still available ),Moser or others be bolt on to my ZJ ? What other options are there ? I know Currie have complete Ford 9" axles for ZJ but there are rather expensive .

With regards to gearing ratio ,can XJ's 4.10 R&P be fitted into my ZJ or are the some limit in the ZJ diff casing that prevent from doing so ?I remember reading that 3.73 is the max . Is this correct ?

Thank you for your comment in advance .
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK lets start by saying.....

WHAT????????????? No broken down explorers in Milaysia???? WOW.. Shocked

Ok... The HP30 from a XJ will be fine but look for an XJ with a Dana 44 rear instead of a 8.75.. Also .. Some Isuzu Rodeos had Dana 44 axles... Do some research on that...

Ummmm ...Oh yeah..

Dana 35 is upgradeable to 4:88 I believe .. The catch being that there is a carrier break at 3:73 so if you have a higher ratio than 3:73 you can only go that low.. SO ....You would have to use a carrier and everything to go as low as 4:11.. Make sense??

But Like I said ...You best bet is finding an XJ with a HP30 and a 44 and getting the matched set of axles.. That will be good for 33's..
Then later if you would like you can upgrade to a super 30 and super 44 kit that will hold you well into 35" tires...

Hope that helps...

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
A/T GRANDY

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl ,

Thks for your comment .

Yes , there are very few Explorer and ZJ in Malaysia as there were only on sale for about a year or two before the importers went into financial troubles .

XJ over here do not come with D44 , only Chry 8.25 or D35 . I doubt the
Isuzu Rodeo over here come with a D44 as they are only available in 4 cylinder and not V6 as in USA . So , I can source a HP30 from a XJ with
4.10 ratio , but is the Super 35 the best bet for the rear ? And get a 4.10
R&P .

However , if there is a carrier break at 3.73 ( Mine is 3.07 now ) , does that mean I'll have to get another D35 with 4.10 from an XJ , do the brackets , do the brake coversion , then get the Super 35 axle?? That seemed a lot of work and still end up with a D35 . And is the Super 35 a bolt on job ?

Thank you , jeepers .
skrracing

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Hope this helps Reply with quote

The Redeo 44 is not the same as the Jeep 44 stay away from it. The corp 8 1/4 would be an upgrade to the 35. You can up up to a 4.56 gear and all kinds of lockers out there for it. A very common rear diff for the XJ and could swap it into a ZJ witha a few mods like the spring perch mounts. Hope that helps. Later...Clint
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont have to buy an Entire axle.. If you want to go with a super 35 kit it will be fine as long as you keep it under 33"s . (Tires I mean... Mr. Green )

You can just swap out the carrier.. I think I have a dana 35 with 3:73 gear on it ...I can send you the carrier and ring and pinion if you want.. (Then you can find a 3:73 front Or you can just take the carrier and regear to 4:11's..

Let me know if you want it ..
I will let it go Cheap.... (Hows $20 plus shipping sound??)

Carl

Oh and for the Isuzu 44 ... It is differnet from Jeep 44 but there is nothing wrong with different.. I know a few guys running them and having good luck with them.. And I personally used to have an amigo that I had that rear axle in ..I ran the crap out of it with 35's and never had a problem..

It is 6 lug but its a good enough axle to withstand the average wheeler...
It is not by any means Hardcore.. But neither is the Jeep 44..
Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
A/T GRANDY

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl ,

Thanks for your offer . How much is shipping to Malaysia ?
You can also contact me on my email ; allterrainwhse@myjaring.net .

Since we are on the issue of shipping , what is the possibility of sourcing an entire axle , Ford 8.8 with disc brakes and getting it shipped to Malaysia.
Interested ?

Also , who is still selling Super 35 kit ? Hear that Superior Gear has stop selling them .

Thanks Jeepers
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: