Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange surge

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg Minor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Strange surge Reply with quote

I just bought a 2000 Wrangker Sport with a 4" lift 33x12x15 tires on 10" wheels it has a trac-lok with what I believe is a 3.07 (per the stamped tag and the fact that it only turns 1400 rpm @55) My question has to do with a bad habit this machine has when going uphill in first sometimes second gear and when the grade is steep or bumpy. It lunches just as if I was stepping on the gas and letting off then back on and so on. When it does this I have to let of the gas and push in the clutch to get it to stop. Its really a pain. It feels as if the suspension is unloading or visa a versa something aint right. This is my first jeep its very clean and runs great other than the high gears and the lunges any Ideas

greenbean

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find out for sure what gears you have. If it is in fact 3.07 you really need to switch to at least a 4.10 or even 4.56 with 33" tires. Your power and gas mileage will be a lot better for it. Maybe some experts out there can comment if this current combination of gears and tires/lift would cause the surging problem you are talking about,..... Cool
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best guess its the combination of 3.07 gears, 33" diameter tires and the weight of the tire also. If your only running 1400 rpm at 55mph I would say that your right that you have 3.07 gears still.

As greenbean said going to at least 4.10's or 4.56 gears are gonna be the way to go.

Welcome to the world of Modded Jeeps. Aint it fun Mr. Green Gets expensive too.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was running pretty much the same rig with 31" tires and 3.07 gears. My tires were skinny'er though I had the 10.5.

I HAD to go to the 4.10 ratio when I went up to the 33" tires still 10.5 too. Found that I have much better performance on the road/highway now. I would reccommend a locker too while you're at it, if you do much wheellin.

If you regear, be prepared for new carriers as your old ones are the wrong size. You probably have limited slip clutch packs too right now. This is why if you wheel much you might want to go to a locker system now because you'll have to change to a different carrier type.

Good luck, and enjoy.....
J=Just
E=Empty
E=Every
P=Pocket
Very Happy
Warn X8000i winch, Warn Rock Bumpers
RE 4.5"Super Flex Lift
AA HD SYE
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Shrockguards
Tellico & Windrock Tested & Customized!!!!
Greg Minor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was concerned that this problem maybe related to the lift as it is very severe lunging literally like if was on and off the gas. This jeep also has some mods done to the fuel system such as a K&N and something else of which I will need to call the prvious owner to find out just what it was .He just refered to it as making it faster I'm not sure if it was a boost or throttle body or maybe just a filter and a chip maybe I just need a stiffer gas pedal rofl What are the effects of a misaligned drive shaft (to steep of a angle and what does lowering the TC do or not do if its not done?
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

high DS angles will give you VIBES from the u-joints binding, which leads to thier early self destruction.

Im still thinking that the surging is an after effect of the wrong gears for your tire/wheel. Now you say the prior owner has added some bolts to the intake to free up the air.....did he also install any aftermarket exhaust as well? All this and 3.07s is gonna be all the problem. Getting more free air makes the engine want to run in a higher RPM range then it was built and calibrated to due from the factory.

Im betting that your rig has never been hooked up and recalibrated by a dealer. Not that they can do much to overcome the 33" meats but it is possible if the guy running the box is good at what he does that the TJ's EPU can be calibrated for the intake and/or exhaust mods.

Many before you have had lifts and big tires installed on Jeeps with 3.07 gears and run into the same problems. The many have also started spending a small fortune on bolt on intake/exhaust mods only to find that all that money spent didnt do a hell of alot....EVERYONE that tells me it helped was just trying to fool themselves into beleiving that they didnt waste money on thier mods.

The only way short of supercharging your TJ your gonna correct this is either put the 29's back on(snicker) or get some 4.10/4.56 's intalled. You fun factor will go straight to 10 then. If you regear I would recomend 4.56's. I have 4.10s w/33's and it works great but it can always be better.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Orng Beep

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange surge Reply with quote

Befor I give my 2 cents, Nice Jeep!

Greg Minor wrote:
It lunches just as if I was stepping on the gas and letting off then back on and so on.

If I was a bettin' man, I would say this IS your problem. I have the same tires, same gears, heck, same Jeep. It is hard to hit bumps and not move your foot. I have had the Jeep for a while now and I'm just now getting a handle on this problem. Sounds like we both either need to suffer or regear. Crying or Very sad

Anybody have any insite on growing a $$$ tree? I buried a Washington. I water it often. I just can't seem to get it to sprout any bennies!
IBTJn

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I lifted my TJ and put 33's on there, I did not have the same problem. However, I had factory 3:73's...which were very borderline functional with 33's. It worked, but sucked for bottom end. I opted for the 4:56's and most all the time I'm glad I went with them. Sometimes on the highway they seem too low...but they aren't. It's just me with the old thinking.

I've made no mods on the intake/exhaust system primarily because of what everyone has said. It's a waste of money short of doing a supercharger. Even then, I doubt I'd do it. It's got plenty of power (for me) with the right gearing in it.

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: