Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to clear 35" tires?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
someone16

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: How to clear 35" tires? Reply with quote

I have a 4" rusty's offroad lift kit. I was wondering how much of a body lift i would need to clear 35" tires.
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 2 incher might do it, but i'd do a 1 inch, tj flares and cut the fenders up some

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
DesertYJ

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 4" ProComp Lift and a 1" Daystar Body lift.
I am running BFG 35x12.5x15.

I had to trim my flares and fenders. (They still rubed)
I replaced my front fenders with tube fenders to fix the front.
The back just rubs (after some triming) on my flares and they slowly self trim as they rub.

Kygreenyj has the right plan with the TJ flares and the triming.
You will probably have to change your rim offset to keep them off your frame in turns.
lrrnhobb77

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: 35" TIRES Reply with quote

I have a 93 yj with 35"x12.50x15 Mud AT. I have a 3" body lift only. I had to shave the fender flares and adjust my side nuff bars. They only rub on the inner body seem when I turn really sharp. I will be putting a suspension lift on it in the future when i get some extra but for now it's fine.

~fixed photo link - Code3TJ~
YJWranglerYJ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 2" body would give u just enough room i would recommend a 3 inch, looks much better and only cost 20$ more
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: 35" TIRES Reply with quote

lrrnhobb77 wrote:
I have a 93 yj with 35"x12.50x15 Mud AT. I have a 3" body lift only. I had to shave the fender flares and adjust my side nuff bars. They only rub on the inner body seem when I turn really sharp. I will be putting a suspension lift on it in the future when i get some extra but for now it's fine.

Have you taken it offroad at all? Looks like you're going to tear the hell out of it when you flex.
YJWranglerYJ wrote:
a 2" body would give u just enough room i would recommend a 3 inch, looks much better and only cost 20$ more

But it's going to cause you more grief in the long run. Go for the smaller body lift and an actual suspension lift. Wink
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp, I own a TJ and never have owned a YJ.

Here is my thoughts on bigger tires. If you go bigger expect to pay more. With that said, you have to go bigger to accomidate the size of your tires. Thats why my TJ is sitting on 33s with a 3.5-inch lift. Of course im running with a Tummytuck and some other under carriage armor to compensate for the lower stance.

Ive seen some Jeeps running Rubicon Express 4.5-inch lifts and a 1-inch body lifts clearing 35's. You can pickup the Extreme setup for 900 retail and Im sure any vendor will cut you a break on that and the basic 4.5 will cost you aproxmately 500+.

Please dont take this wrong lrrnhobb77
I wouldn't be caught dead on the street with that setup. Simply because everybody who sees it like everybody here knows your looking at breaking something. I know the feeling. Lets throw on some bigger tires and play. The problem is your trying to take a short cut. You cant throw on bigger wheels without the lift. Its just the way it is. Just a little more time and patience my friend.

Honestly you should of bought the tires and taken them home and as soon as you lifted the Jeep you should mount the tires. Heres whats going to happen. Call me psycic or however you spell that word. Your going to lift it aproximately 4-inches at a cost of 500-900. Now with that lift your going to need a SYE and a new CV rear driveline at 500+. So your telling yourself your going to save up 1000-1400 to do it all. Im not sure about you, but most people after droping 1000 on tires cant shell that out right away.

In the mean time your going to be driving very carefully until you can afford the 1000-1400 additional funds to correct what wasn't broken before.
hartmanbd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Lift Reply with quote

I have a 1995 yj and i installed a 4" Rubicon Express lift. The jeep doesnt have a body lift. I am running 35 inch tires. I didnt have to shave anything and it flexes fine...no rubbing at all. Just took it to the Jeepers Jamboree on the world famous Rubicon Trail. The Jeep Kicked ***
Did not break a thing. Friends with more well equiped jeeps. with lockers and such all broke something. Except for me.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone

Go with the 3" body lift!!! Then send us some pics! I run 3" suspension and 3" body on my CJ7 and I love it! I plan on doing a SOA conversion in the future.

Last edited by Orangeamc13 on Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lrrnhobb

There's no way you could even use that Jeep to it's potential. You need to throw a spring lift on it asap! Cool

hereswaldo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

body lifts are pointless unless in this case. i would say never go above two inches especially when your sitting on four inches of lift. anything over two inches and youll have ALOT more body roll and youl have to modify you shift linkage usually. i'd say go with a two inch body lift at the most then go with a shackle lift you can get a little mroe than an inch out of that . so essentially youll be adding 3.5 in of with with that combo and not sacrificing a lot of body roll. plus trucks look a whole lot better with out a huge ass gap between the body and frame. in any case all you need it about two more inches to clear 35's with out rubbing at all. if you wheel hard you might want to trim fenders a bit.
teague yj

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you put more than 2 more inches on you will have to change the d shaft and buy a slip yoke elim., very expensive. plus youll have to regear for 35s. if you put a jks 1.25 body lift on all you have to do is reagear.
berk9

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you will have to change up the linkage, and body lift does give you more body roll but not as much if you were to get the same amount of lift with your suspension. body lift leaves all your heavy parts down low still unlike the suspension lift that raises everything up (motor, trany, transfer, etc) and with suspension you will have to get new driveline crap.

my advise would be to get a 1 inch body and trim the crap out of your fenders.... keep your center of gravity as low as you can!!!!

oh and just putting this out there... i dont like the body lift look either but hey it works
tonloco

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flat fender the front comp cut the rear throw your tires on and go to town
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: