Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overhaul '98 5.9 for towing... suggestions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
5.9 ZJ

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Overhaul '98 5.9 for towing... suggestions? Reply with quote

Howdy all-

My '98 5.9 only has 63K on it, but that damnable D44A rear is making a bit of noise (I think, although it could be a bearing - have to check) and the equally damnable 249 is leaky (I hate FT AWD anyway!)

I'm going to be moving across the country in a few months and I want to make sure that it is as ready as possible to tow a moderate load. I also plan on keeping it as my daily driver. I generally drive it like it was just stolen, so you have a bit of an insight into my driving habits. I'd like it to be able to comfortably meet my driving demands.

What would you (Swampy!) do to your '98 5.9?

I want the 249 gone (242?) the tranny strengthened, the rear strengthened and the ride to improve.

Not too much to ask, eh? Mr. Green

I plan on adding a tranny cooler for sure, but what else would you all do?

Thanks-

B

P.S. - when responding please keep in mind that I'm destitute from filling that 23 gallon tank with premium. shock
jeepzj9304

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well a new transfer case cost a pretty penny but its all worth it the other thing is the dana 44 it could be a bearing or it could be low diff fluid, u-joint. it could be a series of thing. if your not sure on what it is the best thing is take your jeep to a machanic or the dealership im sure some one that knows better than me will chime in.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the rear . .... Take off the rear cover and clean it up ..Check for metal shavings in the fluid. If there is none present its not the diff.. It could however be a wheel bearing.. For that I say drive it around for about 30-45 minutes then get out and touch the pinion , then touch both sides of the pumpkin then touch both wheels neer the center.. IF any of these places is very hot the bearing is probobly out.. (they will all be warm.. when I say to hot I meen to hot to even touch.. Like you feel the heat radiating off of it..)

As for the T case ... You can get a 242 or 231 out of an XJ and look at the tech page here for my writeup of How to swap out the input so you can use it..
(Find a Case that is a 96-98..Very important so that everything will work properly..)

For a bone yard T case do not pay more than $250... There are thousands of them out there . No need to over pay..

I have a 5.2 But I wish I had a 5.9 Mr. Green

You should already have a Tranny cooler.. In fact you should have 2 but I would definalty buy another and put it on as well ..It will add another
quart or so of fluid to the mix and the cooler the better as far as trannys are concerned..

To make it last longer ...Look around and order a shift kit ..You can do it yourself.. And the crisper more solid shifts will make the bands last much longer.. Not to mention feeling awesome...

There is also a mod that you can do ..(I have seen it on JU or Nagca) to make the tranny shift a little better by snipping a wire or something..

It may seem crazy but the faster the tranny shifts from gear to gear the longer it will last.. SOoooooo.... Those nice neck poping shifts that you feel in a Sports car serve two purposes they make you faster and they make the tranny last longer...

Hope that helps..
Let me know if you need to know anything else..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
5.9 ZJ

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp boy wrote:
For the rear . .... Take off the rear cover and clean it up ..Check for metal shavings in the fluid. If there is none present its not the diff.. It could however be a wheel bearing.. For that I say drive it around for about 30-45 minutes then get out and touch the pinion , then touch both sides of the pumpkin then touch both wheels neer the center.. IF any of these places is very hot the bearing is probobly out.. (they will all be warm.. when I say to hot I meen to hot to even touch.. Like you feel the heat radiating off of it..)

Cool, I'll try that. I changed out the fluid about 1K ago, and it looked fine...

Quote:
As for the T case ... You can get a 242 or 231 out of an XJ and look at the tech page here for my writeup of How to swap out the input so you can use it..
(Find a Case that is a 96-98..Very important so that everything will work properly..)

For a bone yard T case do not pay more than $250... There are thousands of them out there . No need to over pay..

Great, thanks. I've been drooling over your write up for months now...

Quote:
I have a 5.2 But I wish I had a 5.9 Mr. Green

Heh, I'm about to toss an I6 in there until gas prices fall a bit. Shocked

Quote:
You should already have a Tranny cooler.. In fact you should have 2 but I would definalty buy another and put it on as well ..It will add another
quart or so of fluid to the mix and the cooler the better as far as trannys are concerned..

That's the goofy part... mine came with the factory tow package deleted... no hitch, electrical connections or aux. coolers... hey, whaddya want for 40K?

Quote:
To make it last longer ...Look around and order a shift kit ..You can do it yourself.. And the crisper more solid shifts will make the bands last much longer.. Not to mention feeling awesome...

There is also a mod that you can do ..(I have seen it on JU or Nagca) to make the tranny shift a little better by snipping a wire or something..

Yeah, I was thinking about a shift kit, I'll do some research into that, thanks.

Quote:
It may seem crazy but the faster the tranny shifts from gear to gear the longer it will last.. SOoooooo.... Those nice neck poping shifts that you feel in a Sports car serve two purposes they make you faster and they make the tranny last longer...

Hope that helps..
Let me know if you need to know anything else..

Carl

Yes indeedy, that does help - thank you! I just want to beef it up for the move, then I'm focusing on gutting it and making it into an off road beast.

Thanks again-

Brian
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may still have a factory tranny cooler.. Raise your hood.. Lean over the passenger side look behind the radiator cap.. You will see the radiator hose going to the thermostat housing and just below that you should see a small line and about 8 or 10 inches below that another small line and then the Bottom radiator hose...

Those 2 are for factory tranny cooler... If you remove the top line and run a new one from there to a secondary cooler that you can put in front of the radiator ..(Autozone sells universal..Jegs sells better ones..) that will be input to the new cooler then from the return side of the new cooler hook up the line you removed from the radiator...

You will be set. .... Nice cool tranny.. Also.. If you order the one from Jegs go ahead and get a Tranny temp gauge and put it in line between the New cooler and the tranny (in the first line you removed.) that will tell you the fluid temp of the fluid going into the tranny ... (Which basicly equates to your tranny temp..)

Let me know if you need anything else.. Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
5.9 ZJ

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeepzj9304-

Thanks for the info. and suggestions, I was groggy when I first read your reply and forgot to thank you.

So thanks.

I'll post updates as I complete things.

Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: