Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front suspension popping apart

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJ25

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Front suspension popping apart Reply with quote

Hola. I have a 98 TJ SE and something happened to the front drivers side suspension. I was pulling away from a light and that side of the suspension lifted 2" and remained 2" higher that the right ride. Took a look under and what I think is a control arm popped out of its socket. Not sure what the specific part is called but 1 peice comes off the front bumper(frame) and hooks onto the suspension. (ill take a pic soon). The TJ is still drivable, but handling is much more spongy. Any ideas on what this would cost to repair?

Thanks,
quadna71

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like one of your anti-swaybar links finally gave up the ghost. you can either spring for a new one from quadratec or splurge a few bucks and get some disconnectable replacements. the disconnects will allow you to ride on the road with the same solid feeling you were experiencing before the break...but when disconnected will allow you greater articulation - and in turn better off-road traction.
chris
kitesurferinva

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quadna71 wrote:
sounds like one of your anti-swaybar links finally gave up the ghost. you can either spring for a new one from quadratec or splurge a few bucks and get some disconnectable replacements. the disconnects will allow you to ride on the road with the same solid feeling you were experiencing before the break...but when disconnected will allow you greater articulation - and in turn better off-road traction.
chris

x2 - just pick up a set of disconnects of some sort, the teraflex or JKS quick disco's work great. Also, when you pull your swaybar links, a pickle fork will help you out big time in getting the link off.
Kitesurferinva -98 TJ 2" BB, 1" BL, Big Daddy Rocker Guards, Custom front bumper, SKBpro rear bumper w/ spare tire swing out carrier, 33x12.5 BFG MT's on 15x10 AR Outlaw II's, 2 Hella lights, warn engine and diff skids, Kilby steering skid
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quadna71 wrote:
chris
X-3 For what you'd pay for the OEM replacement(s), you'll likely almost be able to buy a decent set of quick disconnects. And it does indeed make a huge difference when off roading with better articulation of the front axle. Should be a reasonably easy swap/upgrade, too.
Wink
woodsytc

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same thing happened with our '98 tj 2.5l and i replaced it using a part from autozone for $24 and using a socket set, small prybar and the factory jack. it wasn't too bad really. only took me 1.5 hrs and im not much of a mechanic.
good luck.
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of stock swaybar links I can sell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: