Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2001 XJ tires

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foxx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: 2001 XJ tires Reply with quote

Well, after having my Jeep around a week now, it's time to start looking for tires. I want to run BFG Mud Terrains on the factory wheels, because from everything I've heard the Mud's work well on the street and about average off road. Since I'm in Nashville, most of the XJ's time will be on the street.

The problem is, I dont really want to put another set of 235/75 R15 tires on it, but I dont have a lot of cash on hand to lift it properly- and I dont see any reason to doit until I can do it right, with a nice Skyjacker lift.

After reading the Tire/ Wheel comboguide, I was wondering what you guys thought about this: A set of 30x9.50 tires of the factory wheels, with the TJ flares and fender trimming- something I'd need to do with a lift and larger tires anyway. Without disconnecting the sway bar, what kind of articulation or rubbing could I expect with this setup?

Ona related note, how do I convert the metric 235 size to find out what the standard (inch) size would be? Do these tires equate to 28's, or what? How do I figure that out?

Thanks
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably run 30"x9.5" on the stock rim without hitting the fenders at all. It might rub at full steering lock which you can fix with a few washers in the steering stops (tip - in most states, altering the sterring travel will cause it to fail inspection. Add the washers a few months before you get it inspected so it has time to pick up some road grime before they look at it)

You might also rub inside the wheel well at full flex. If you don't disco the sway bar I doubt it will rub at all.

To convert first take the 235 (Tire width in mm) and divide by 25.4 = 9.25". Then multiply 9.25" x .75 (the aspect ratio) which yeilds a 6.93" section height. Multiply 6.93 x 2 (upper and lower portion of the tire) = 13.87 and finally add 15" (the width of the rim) to that. 28.87"X9.25"

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
majikxms

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePhantum wrote:
You might also rub inside the wheel well at full flex. If you don't disco the sway bar I doubt it will rub at all.

I didn't rub on the fenders when I had mine stuffed and that was disconnected. I was running 30/9.5/15's with stock rims/suspension. The only rub I had is what Phantum stated, on the LCA's when I had the wheel turned all the way in. That was remedied by the washers.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those bfg muds are average on the road and excellent off road and since yours will be on road all the time may i recomend the bfg all terrains? they last longer on the road and are average off road
Foxx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, good to know that they'll fit. As far as lasting on the road, I think I have a solution for that. I'm not sure exactly what load ranges are offered in that size by BFG, but I'm planning to go with the heaviest load range I can in order to get a hardier rubber that should hold up for a while under the (comparatively) lightweight XJ. The ride will be rougher on the road, but that doesnt really bother me too much. Of course, the way things have been going with this Jeep, they'll probably just offer a class C load range in this size, or any size that I can fit without a lift. If this is the case, I'm guessing I can probably get around 20,000 miles out of a set of tires. Does this sound fairly accurate, or am I way off base?

First thing I have to do is figure out these brakes, though. I noticed the past couple of daysthey felt soft, then tonight I found fluid running down both my front rotors. Fortunately I dont have class in the morning, so I get to pull the wheels off and find a leak. Still have the temp tag in the window, and I've already had the check engine light come on, replaced an oil pressure sending unit, and now the brakes are being funny. But that's okay...it ought to all be straightened out soon.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bfg muds should get you around 40k and the trxus mud terrains have a tire that is 8 or 10 ply but its in a 265/75 r16 which is roughly a 32 so if you had plans to lift it....
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: