Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trail Cleanup this past weekend

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Trail Cleanup this past weekend Reply with quote

This past Saturday, June 4th, FM2CD participated in a trail cleanup hosted by a local Mountain Bike club, the Richmond Chapter of M.O.R.E.. We got involved through our friendship with the VA Jeep Girls. Wayne with M.O.R.E. had contacted the VAJG and they agreed to help out with the cleanup. Since my wife is a member of the VAJG, naturally I, and thus FM2CD, got involved as well.

First a little history: this trail was pretty much cut/built by M.O.R.E. They had the support of the City of Richmond, but (of course) no funding. Everything they have done so far has been the work of volunteers...and they are not done yet. This particular potion of the trail runs behind Hollywood Cemetary along the James River. Since the Xterra races will be held on these trails this summer, the next step was to clean up the trash that had been dumped over the years...tires, stoves, washing machines, along with misc. garbage is everywhere.

The list of participants was as follows:
Wayne - Richmond M.O.R.E
Nathan - James River Park Service
Susan - VA Jeep Girls
Travis - Susan's son
Bonnie - VA Jeep Girls
Stacey - VA Jeep Girls
Jen - VA Jeep Girls/FM2CD
Myself - FM2CD

It was Jefferson Davis' birthday weekend or something (he's burried in Hollywood Cemetary...so there was a whole memorial going on. You can also see the top portion of the type of hill that we needed to drag all the garbage up.

Our first step was to start gathering and staging things up. This was after about 5 minutes of work:

That's Bonnie from the VAJG on the left and me on the right:

Since we were dealing with a lot of large items, the plan was to use my winch to pull it all up the hill. This is Susan rigging up a bunch of old tires for one of the winch pulls:

Once it was all staged up we just started pulling the trash up the hill one load at a time. This one is 2 old stoves and a lawnmower held together with ratchet straps and hooked to the winch.

I lost count of how many loads we pulled up with the winch. At one point, though, we had to take a break as you literally could have fried an egg on my winch motor. Let's put it this way - Nathans truck was empty when we started and it's not quite full yet in this shot:

What's really sad is that we only got about 20% of the larger items that are down there. We worked in pretty much a 20 or 30 foot diameter and filled that truck. There were at least 2 other areas with just as much cleanup needed...we simply ran out of truck space. Still, we did get a lot done...progress not perfection I guess.

Anyway, here's the Jeep Girls and Nathan with our booty of garbage:

I stuck around for another 45 minutes or so after the Jeep Girls left to help Wayne winch this out of another area that still needs serious cleanup:

Afterwards, I told Wayne that I'd be happy to work with him and schedule another date to help him winch out some more of the larger items. If we can pick a date that works for both of us, maybe we can get some more folks involved that are as willing to pitch in and help as much as the VAJG were this past weekend.

Rock On!

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of junk. Shocked

How did so much stuff come to be dumped there?
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the stuff that was there was from the 50/60's. I think for a while Hollywood Cemetery didn't have good security so people would come in and just dump all this stuff down the hill probably in the 70/80's. At the top of that hill is a road, which most people all they had to do was drive into the cemetery along that back hill and throw it out. At least that is what we were all speculating Saturday.

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats good that you guys got involved

could any of that stuff be recycled? maybe a way to make some money to buy the volunteers a gatorade or something
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that makes sense. I was wondering how they were able to get some of the big stuff in to dump it. Again, good work. thumbs
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Events & Places All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: