Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lift/Tires for '04 Rubicon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnsmall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Lift/Tires for '04 Rubicon Reply with quote

Alright ya'll, I'm a brand new Jeep owner. Shocked Can you help a brother out? I'm thinking of putting a 4" lift on my Ruby with new tires, maybe GoodYear Wrangler MT/R's (like stock only 285/75R16's). Anybody have any advice or warnings? I have two questions in particular: Will these tires fit without other modifications (besides the lift)? and, how do I get one if these big bastards to mount as a spare on the back?

It's a 4 speed automatic. Thanks for any help.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive seen pics of the 285's mounted on stock Moabs on Rubes with no lift. The supposedly didnt rub....that being told to me by both drivers. Now that was probably on road Im guessing. Disco'd offroad is probably another story, not so much as rubbing against the sway bar but beating the crap out of the fenders and flairs during articulation.

I would suggest a 1-1/4" BL at the least to clear. Then do something with the suspension from there. An OME 2-1/2" lift with Tera Spacers and a BL will easily clear the 285's or even the 315's without problem. The OME are advertised as 2-1/2" only because in Australia where they are made, 2-1/2" is the maximum allowed lift by law. OME bases there lift from what the typical Aussie outback outfitted Jeep weighs. Aussies bolt, strap, tie on incredible amounts of gear to thier rigs and that weighs them down a bunch. The OME Hardtop lift will raise a hardtop TJ @3" and the same will raise a softtop TJ @3-1/2". In stock form that is plenty with the BL to clear and not cause driveline problems with the Rube.

If the rig is gonna be fully armored, and have aftermarket rock bumpers and nerf bars and have a winch on it then thats where the Tera or like spacers come in handy to boost the lift back up that the extra weight of the above add.

As far as the larger spare on the tailgate....there are HD spare carriers available from Quadratec. But the weight of the stock 245 MT/r is more than the tail gate can handle. My Rubes tailgate started warping as soon as I bought mine. The dealer I bought mine from removes all the Rubi spares untill sold so that no one can see the twist that happens to the gate. More weight back there aint good and the best bet is spend some money for a decent bumper/carrier or go for one of the HD carriers from Bestop.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
johnsmall

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm a bonehead sometimes. My tailgate doesn't latch straight unless you slam it hard shut. I think you just told me why. Mr. Green

I'll check out the OME 2 1/2". I want a little height but mainly just enough to clear the bigger tires off road or on. I haven't decided yet on bumpers and other armour, etc. We'll just see how hard this desease hits me.

Is there any reason to go bigger than 285's other than looks?
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

285's are @33" in diameter. 315's are @34.75". 285 size will be fine with a mild lift.

To give you an idea of what the OME Hardtop lift with spacers looks like sitting on top of 33's, this is a pic of my Rube.

My Rube is a tank, lots of armor, rock bumpers and skids etc. If I was in stock form with the same lift I would probably be 1" to 2" taller than in these pics.

johnsmall

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool set up. Did you just flat out remove the third tail-light? Or is it just hidden?

And how's that thing ride on the pavement? Does the spacer make any difference in the ride?

As you can see, all's I got is questions. Thanks for the pics, too. It's hard to find pictures of what I've got in mind.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rofl Your not seeing the 3rd brake light cuz it aint there...lol

The stock 3rd light setup dosent work on the Jeeperman Rock Bumper and Tire Carrier. Raingler did send me a neat LED light to fit on thier carrier. Its round and if it was installed would be in the center area of the spare.....I just havent got around to getting it put on. rofl

OME gives a great ride. There are many fans of the OME suspension on this sight. I have been threw many different offroad shocks and most arent even close to the road ride quality of the OME. The Edelbrock IAS shocks are as good in the ride quality on road, but they are built for road use vehicles. The Edelbrocks are probably the cleanest nicest looking shocks out there. But for offroad toughness the OME is beefier and made to take the abuse.

As far as spacers go they dont change the ride quality so much as they just help give some extra clearence. Or if you start adding all the heavy stuff to your rig that starts mashing down the springs and effecting the ride height. I have the ACOS adjustable spacers on all 4 corners of my rig. Un-adjusted they add 1-1/4" of boost right off the mark. I have only needed to adjust the fronts after installing my winch.

This is another pic of mine and what Im refering to.

Check out this write up in our tech area that thephantum did on Jen2Goofy's TJ. Its got alot of info about that install. Even though we both used different spacers and odds and ends we both used the same core OME suspension lift.

Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatWasIThinkin wrote:
Raingler did send me a neat LED light to fit on thier carrier. Its round and if it was installed would be in the center area of the spare.....I just havent got around to getting it put on. rofl

x2 rofl rofl rofl
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: