Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1994 JGC tranny problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
radioren

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: 1994 JGC tranny problem Reply with quote

Hi All. First I have a 1994 JGC 4.0 4x4 automatic. Bought it from cousin in NJ with burned out tranny. Had mechanic up there put junkyard tranny in ($700+300labor). Drove it all the way to Georgia yesterday with no problems at all! Got in it today to run errands and....
1)on highway it slammed into O/D off mode byitself and wouldnt switch out
2)would downshift hard
3)then it wouldnt shift into 2,3 gear smoothly or at all
4) now it won go into drive or reverse. I mean the shifter does but doeant engage. I crawled underneath to put it in by hand by the tranny pan and still nothing. It sounds like its not catching when in drive. I hear a lil clunk clunk etc when put into gear.
5)when I just had it towed(20min ago) it leaked tranny fluid from the back of tranny when it was jacked on the flatbed.
OKheres the question....Where do I start? What do I need to look for and diagnose this? ANY HELP PLEASE!!!! Thanks again everyone
________
Coach purses

Last edited by radioren on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebuild the tranny maybe? im not really good for input on trannies swamp boy is when he gets on im sure he can help
radioren

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah swampy is a stand up guy. He tried to help me find a tranny when this thing was stuck in NJ. AS for a rebuild I just had the used tranny put in three days ago in NJ (I live in GA btw).Just looking for something to start with. Ive posted this on other boards and some say the fluid was foaming cuasing it to fail...i dunno
________
STOCKS TO BUY NOW

Last edited by radioren on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUCH...Did you get a new rear seal on the Junk yard tranny??

Sounds like it may be low on fluid.. The problem with that is if you ran it long without fluid.. Tranny could be bad again...

You are going to have to find out where its leaking from and fix it..

What you described sounds like its low on fluid..

I hope its not..
Let us know..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
radioren

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but wouldnt you figure that it would get fried right off. I picked up the car in New Jersey and drove it straight down to Georgia with no problems! I checked the fluid before I left and added some Lucas(maybe 1/4 bottle). THen when it started acting up when I went to run some errands I checked fluid again and it was still good. I then added the rest of the bottle of Lucas. Maybe that finally made it go tottally out where it wont even go into gear? Btw thanks to all for the insight. Keep em comming! I guess Ill have to get the junkyard to send a new trans even though they're in NJ. Guess I lost that $$ I paid for labor...this sucks Evil or Very Mad

p.s. carl you remember me right? the guy in GA you were helpin find a tranny?
________
HEALTH SHOP

Last edited by radioren on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup ..I remember... TO bad the one that Dave had wouldnt have worked for you .. ITs still sitting and he is begging to get rid of that stuff now.. Sad

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
radioren

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl, and also anyone that can gimmie an answer,

NOw that the jeep has been sitting for a couple of days. I started ti up yesterday and put it in gear. it barely barely creeps along. I mean with no power in it an me having to give it bunch of gas. When I put it in reverse it did the same thing but this time with a whinning gear sound which seemed to be comming from the front of the tranny. Torque Conv maybe? Any thoughts. Should I really bother changing the fluid and filter and wasting $50 if it sfried bad or is that a possible fix? Thanks again!
________
ARIZONA MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Last edited by radioren on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bring it to a tranny shop.. I dont know squat about trannys but I can tell you that if it was just installed it should have had a new filter and fluid in it...

Carl

radioren

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it did have new filter adn fluid. guy who put it in is straight up.Im not a big tranny guy swampy but problem is now the yard its from is in NJ.Guess Ill be pulling it out myself.Shouldnt be that bad it should be straight up. Gotta get the book.Im thinking 3 hours or so to pull it out? Any tips suggestions etc from those who have taken one out and replaced before? Finger thhats how i feel about dodge trannies! lol
________
Ipad guides

Last edited by radioren on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont blame you... Mr. Green

Take out the crossmember and let the engine lean back.. It makes it easier to get to the tranny bolts.. Thats about it...

radioren

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swampy and all,

Knowing by what the tranny is doing, i.e; not going into gear and barely moving and then not at all. I wanna ask honestly. Would I fluid change really make a difference. I just dont wanna go throught he hassle and change fluid for nothing. Plus I was lookin at taking the tranny out yesterday and seems its gonna be a bear to get to top bolt of the housing. I bought a CDROM chiltons manual so I should be alright. Just wanted to put question about fluid. thanks
________
Montana medical marijuana dispensary

Last edited by radioren on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
radioren

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know i just posted but I have feeling fluid swap isnt the answer. Swampy you have a JGC you can help with this also. HEres where to begin.
Wanna start off by saying thanks to all for all the info. Everyone on here has been help big time
Now to this piece..............
the tranny that was junkyard tranny($700) has 30 days to bring it back and get new one. Mechanic that put it in got the tranny and is in hospital now with back surgurey :wacko: . I know Im out the money for labor but I dont know where the tranny came from in NJ (btw, i live in GA). Sooooo heres the questions......
I know Ive gotta take the tranny out myself etc and when guy gets back ship mine and ahve other one shipped from junkyard (being JY trans not knowning exact shape its in). Do I

1) just have someone rebuild it here locally so I can get miles outta jeep? How much would one think? Its a 94 4.0 4x4
2)Im into this with cost of jeep and labor trans so far for $2,200 with 170,000miles so would I cut my losses and would I get what I have in it if I sold it as is?
3)Im moving to vegas in august and wnated to take this with me to tow my bike and jet ski. Would I get many miles outta this thing if tranny has been rebuilt?
Heres things by cousin (guy I bought from) has done in last year; a/c compressor,pinion seal,swaybar and bushings,windshield,total brake rebuild front and back,tires 6 months old and exhaust manifold. Enginge doesnt leak engine oil (it does tranny lol). I know its lots of ques and certainly appreciate it. F you guys just suggest rebuild of tranny for long life...any reccomendations in GA? THanks again . help a brotha out Ill buy you a beer! lol Very Happy
________
Justin bieber

Last edited by radioren on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my post on Delta... Mr. Green

Brad S

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, just a thought, you say yours is a 94, go do the key on/off trick to pull up the engine codes..
you start in the off position: on/off/on/off/on/off/on
it should be 3 times i think.. then the check engine light will blink out your codes for you.. here's a link:
http://hem.passagen.se/suntool/jeep/error_en.html
see if you get a code for a bad overdrive silinoid.. thats what mine was, it was refusing to shift into high gear, not exactly sure if thats your problem, but it might be worth looking into.
I just had to swap mine out, it was like $30 and would take you about 6 hrs I would guess.
Post and let me know what you come up with!
radioren

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brad, thanks for the reply. That could be just ONE of the problems!lol The jeep is now getting a TOTALLY rebuilt tranny w/ 12month/12,000 mile warranty and tranny cooler.
The thing wouldnt even creep along in drive (or any lower gears).The strongest gear was reverse and it would make a loud whinning gear sound! It seems the guy who put the tranny in for my drive from NJ to GA didnt flush out the lines and check valves. Someone posted that on this board also and seems they were right. To get miles outta the jeep Im having it rebuilt even tho theres that 30 day guarantee from scrap yard!
________
FUCK
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: