Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The skids are on.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AggieDog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: The skids are on..... Reply with quote

well guys, I put my warn oilpan skid on yesterday and I put the warn differential skids on my front and rear differential covers. About all I have left as far as skids go is the rear gastank, and I might put skids on those wimpy stabilizer brackets in the front of the jeep. I am now ready to do some wheelin in the Sierra's near Lake Tahoe next week.
04 Rocky Mtn Edition TJ, 4.0 L 5 Speed Manual, D44 rearend,4.56 gears, Jeeperman rear bumper, swingaway, Jamboree rack, Warn front bumper, Warn steering box skid plate, Warn oilpan skidplate, Rubicon 3.5 lift, Warn CE M8000 winch.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The skids are on..... Reply with quote

AggieDog wrote:
About all I have left as far as skids go is the rear gastank

Man, been five years last month and I still have the stock gas tank skid. I've really pushed my luck this far Mr. Green . Good deal on the skids, I gotta get the front diff too now that I think about it.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC beefed up the fuel tank skids a bunch starting back in 02. The biggest advantage to aftermarket fuel skid, Warn or Kilby, is that they can offer better clearence.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
AggieDog

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatWasIThinkin wrote:
DC beefed up the fuel tank skids a bunch starting back in 02. The biggest advantage to aftermarket fuel skid, Warn or Kilby, is that they can offer better clearence.

Ya, I havent made up my mind on that. I think the current one is beefy on my 04, I really would put a new skid on only if I gain clearance. Be forwarned on the Warn differential skids, you pull the lower 5 bolts, and attach the differential skids, use Warns silly bolts that have an allen wrench head. Mine are slightly seeping, so I may run it to the jeep dealer, and just let them drain both front and rear gear oil and re gasket. I would do it myself, but I am out of time, and leave this afternoon. I find it hard to believe just removing the bolts would break the gasket seal, but it did, and Warn even warns you about that possibility. I like them, but be aware of that if you install them. I just got the black powdercoat version, about 70 bucks apiece. The chrome ones go for about 170 apiece.
04 Rocky Mtn Edition TJ, 4.0 L 5 Speed Manual, D44 rearend,4.56 gears, Jeeperman rear bumper, swingaway, Jamboree rack, Warn front bumper, Warn steering box skid plate, Warn oilpan skidplate, Rubicon 3.5 lift, Warn CE M8000 winch.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Tomken gas tank skid. It just fits over the factory skid, and is fairly easy to install. I lost maybe 1/2" of clearance on the rear using this. But for me, that wasn't a big deal. I have an '02, and I'm not sure how much heavier (if any) you guys might be referring to on the factory skid. My factory one sure didn't seem to good to me...but between the two, I should be good to go.

I also have the Warn diff covers. I had them put on when I had my my new gear sets and ARB's inspected. They (Leonard's Off Road) don't like the bolts provided by Warn, so they use some standard head ones as they are easier to work with...which is cool with me. Indeed, the trick is to rebead the diffs and allow that to set up for about 1/2 hour or so. Then remove the bolts and add the diff covers (I was there when they did all this so I could do it in the future). I also went with the black, and the've been just fine.

Short of the oil pan skid, (which I'm not sure which I'll get yet) I'm okay to go (I hope). BTW, which oil pan skid would you guys recommend?

Wink
AggieDog

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the warn, and the oilpan skidplate that Mopar sells is in fact made by warn, ie, it is the same thing. Some guys dont like how the bracket works on a warn. I will have to reserve comment until I bang it around some. I figure if Mopar uses Warn's oilpan setup it can't be too bad.

The thing to remember with oilpan skid plates of any manufacturer is to always check to make sure dry vegetation isnt getting hung up in there as the exhaust muffler is right above and around the engine oilpan. If too much dry flammable debris get's hung up in there, you can start a fire, and end of that jeep. I had a buddy along time ago that didnt clean it out and his brand new Chevy pickup ended up burning up. The moral is to always check it, and keep it washed out of debris like dry grasses, or vegetation.

What I do like about warn's oilpan skidplate is it also protects your transmission. Of course, under the right set of conditions you could hang up on your skid plate also. It seems with every plus there can also be some minuses.

Take Care, my jeep is down at the dealer getting the front and rear differentials drained and re gasketed. I had 6800 miles on it, so I guess I did a maintanence a little sooner than recommended 12000. So now I will just delay that job in the future til I get 16 - 20,000 miles on the jeep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: