Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many miles on your OEM TJ clutch?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: How many miles on your OEM TJ clutch? Reply with quote

I have 37k miles on her and I'm starting to wonder about the clutch, she's not fully slipping yet, but she is doesn't grab hard any more when I release the clutch...

I'll wait until she starts completely slipping before replacing, any good aftermarket clutches out there? I was thinking about Centerforce...

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at 70,000 but I don't know how much longer it's going to last. I put a Luk clutch in my F250 and love it. I'll probably go with one in the TJ. Wink
http://www.lukclutch.com/
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ:

Did you have to replace the master cylinder as well? I found a site that offered the "gold pro" Luk clutches and master cylinder for $320.00 That a decent price?

http://www.dialaclutch.com/

I've never installed a clutch before, so this will be a learning experience for me...isn't Luk the OEM brand in Jeeps?

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have about 35k miles on mine, and it's still VERY strong. I've heard guys with over 100k on theirs and still running strong. My old' MJ had 90k miles on it before I replaced the clutch. But it also had 32's and 3:07's in it. I bought it with 88k miles, and the guy I got if from didn't take care of it to say the least.

I'm sort of surprised you need to already replace it myself. But then again, if the gears are high, it's harder on the clutch assembly IMO.

Good luck.
Wink
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it will need replacing anytime soon as I don't feel any slipping, it just doens't grab as hard as it used to, I think it's all the stop and go traffic on the DC beltway I'm in every day.

It's possible that it just needs adjusted...of course I've never done that though either, lol.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
95sahara

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a hydraulic clutch, there is no adjustment. My old YJ had 112,000 on it when I got hit, and it was going strong on the factory clutch.
PICS
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, most are self adjusting these days...so anyone have any ideas on how to get that nice grabbing feeling when the clutch is dis-engauged?

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, on the truck I didn't have to replace the master cylinder. Mine came with the clutch and a new flywheel (to replace the Ford 2-piece junk.) Wink
99TJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should be able to get 100k miles on a TJ clutch. Of course, much of it depends on how hard you abuse your Jeep. I have a 99 TJ with about 100k miles, and the clutch is just now starting to go. Mine is failing because I have 35" tires and stock gearing, otherwise it would still be going strong.

So, if your clutch is failing w/ 37k miles then something is wrong. Contamination or hardcore abuse would be the two likely culprits. Had your TJ in any deep water crossings? You might want to take a look at the back of your motor and make sure you don't have any oil leaking from the rear main or oil pan. Also, if there are any inspection panels on the bellhousing, take them off and look in there to see if the flywheel and clutch disc appear to be clean. If any fluids get on the friction surfaces it will greatly reduce the life of your clutch. Plus, if you replace the clutch and don't fix the leak, you'll just be wasting another clutch.

As far as replacements, NAPA sells a Kevlar unit that looks pretty good. Centerforce makes several designs that also look good. This is just speculation, I haven't used either of these products and I haven't replaced my clutch yet. When you do, have your flywheel resurfaced or replace it as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: