Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: TRANNY ADVICE Reply with quote

Hey guys I need some help, I have no idea what to do, so any and all opinions would be appreciated. 9 months ago driving my 83 CJ-7, 258, t-5, d300, 4" skayjacker, 3" body, 33" 12.50's back from girlfriends house in third gear at about 30 miles an hour when it made a quiet clunk and it popped out of gear. Disturbed I coasted into a nearby gas station to see what was wrong. I stopped made sure transfer case was in gear and put it in first. Started moving again. Tried second, good, then went to third and nothing happened. No noise nothing tried fourth same thing. 5th and reverse also engaged and worked fine. So i peg legged it home in first and second.

Well combination of school, 5.15/ hr job and lack of tools prevented me from working on it so in the mean I did alot of transmission research. What I found that many people did not like T- 5 and they had a very bad reputation. This was congruent with my experiences considering the history of my transmission. The history of this particular T-5 is not pretty its been rebuilt once, had third gear replaced twice along with a fith gear and a new case. Needless to say I really did not want to pay anyone to work on this transmission so I researched swap out options and decided that I want to swap in NV4500. Then I woke up from the dream I was living in and decided to take out the tranny and try and fix it myself. I figuered that since both third and fourth gear where not working and that I wasn't doing anything seriouse when it broke that it was probably just a shift fork. So started the endevor of saving up the money to buy some of the tools I would need and did not have to pull out the transmission. Three days ago I was ready to go. I proceeded to get everything out of the way and pull both the transmission and the transfer case. Got them apart and removed the tail housing of the transmission. Un-bolted the cover and to my dismay found that the shift forks where in good working order.

So here in lies the delima, after further inspection of the transmission I found that the third and fourth gear synchonizer assembly was free spinning on the shaft. To my knowledge this was not supposed to happen, the first and second assembly did not spin freely it was very connected to the shaft. I engaed by hand by third and fourth gear and was able to spin the input shaft and hold the output shaft. This further proved my problem, so as you can imagine I was very disappointed with this discovery.

This is where I am now, personally this is the deepest I have ever been into a transmission. So I am very intimitaded by the work that would be reqiered to fix this problem. I was thinking about putting tha cover back on and taking it to some one to get an estimate but I could only imagine the price of that. I have never completly taken apart a transmission and i am not even sure if I could. I have a chiltons, and a factory rebuild manuel for a t-5 I got off ebay which explains the procedure. But im not even sure if it is worth fixing. I don't know if it is the assembly thats wasted or the shaft it self. If its the shaft that would be 300 dollars by it self. When I spin the broken assembly I hear very quiet vibration coming from it and can feel it through the shaft.

I don't have alot of money and just want to get my jeep back on the road as quickly and cheaply as possible but i also don't want to waste money or mess it up worse by a bad repair job. I am pretty proficent with mechanic work but usaully leave transmissions to someone else. If you guys could tell me what you think I should do, fix what I got, take it to someone, light it on fire and pray I win the lotto. Or the difficulty involoved in that kind of repair, special tools I would need. Just what ever you guys can offer would be helpful, a fellow jeepein needs some help. Thx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for a cheap fix, you might want to search - I did a quick search and they have prices all over the place but some relatively cheap ones. Might be able to able to get yourself up and running until you can figure something out. That transmission isn't one of the strongest. Before you put too much effort into it, have you thought about swapping in an SM465? Give this a read when you have some time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: TRANNY ADVICE Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, did not know about, that was pretty nice to know about in general. And yes I considered everything from t-18 to sm465 to an nv4500, but i wanted to stick with a five speed if at all possible. My jeep makes the 9hr trip from lubbock to houston at least twice a year because of school, so wanted to keep the overdrive. Unfortuanatly the only five speed that I found that was worth swapping in was an NV4500 and those just aren't cheap or easy to come by. So i might just consider a 4 speed due to availibility and price easy of swap. By the way novaks site is great so, thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: