Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just ordered my soft top (edit: bad news)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
outcold

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Just ordered my soft top (edit: bad news) Reply with quote

Any advice for me? I watched the video that came with the Wrangler. I got the Top for 575.99 shipped. I don't think that's a bad deal.

One question for those with the hard top. Do you leave your soft top on when you put your hard top back on for the winter?

Last edited by outcold on Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which top did you get? I paid around $600 for the Bestop Sailcloth. An extra set of hands helps and the door skins were a pain. Leave them out in the sun for an hour or two before you start wrestling with them. Also, I highly recommend the Sun Performance softtop disconnects although shop around - you might be able to find them cheaper. I don't use them to take the top off but they tightened everything up very nicely and are much better than the cheap plastic ones which will start to bend and break eventually.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Just ordered my soft top Reply with quote

outcold wrote:
One question for those with the hard top. Do you leave your soft top on when you put your hard top back on for the winter?

No. It's better you just remove it when running the hard top.

What I do is remove the windows (sides and rear), put the top down, bungy it all together (as neatly as possible), remove the guide rails from the sport bar, then remove the entire assembled soft top. Then, I tie a slightly taught light rope across the two connection rails, and hang it up in the garage on a couple of hooks I have in studs. Then, I layer paper between the window while placing them on top of the bungied assembly. Finally one or two bungies (fairly loose) to hold it all together during winter while running the hard top, or the heat of summer when I running just the bikini top.

That's what I do for removing and storing, and it's worked well for me. Takes a total of about 20 minutes (taking my time about it).

And I don't know if that's a good price deal or not. I'm still running my factory soft top without any problems (yet). Although I have heard nothing but good stuff about the Sailcloth that Code3TJ mentioned. When it's time, that'll be what I get.

Wink
outcold

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys. I got the Best Top Super Top from tops 4 less. www.tops4less.com They’re a company out of Mich. and had the best deal coupled with good, knowledgeable service. I recommend them to anyone. That is of coarse(knock on wood) my top comes in without incident.
outcold

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I jinxed myself. I got the soft top in today and the box was really banged up. I start opening the box and notice that it had been opened already and re-taped. I took out some of the poles and framing. They were scratched up nicely. The plastic windows were all wrinkled and bent. I pulled all the main stuff out to see tons of screws and bolts on the bottom of the box. This is an open box due to the punch out box handles.

I was so P.O.'d. I called and they transferred me to the person who is supposed to help. I got the voice mail of course. I will keep you updated as to how expedient they are with resolving this.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks, I hope they get it sorted out. Keep us updated on their customer service. Confused
IBTJn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea...that bites big time! Confused Hope things work out okay. If it's a Bestop, my guess is it will.

Good luck.
Wink
outcold

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I received my top and it is in new condition. Now I'm faced with yet one more hurdle. Finding a place to put the hard top. I rent and have no place to put it.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno how expensive those 'u-rent' places are around you, but they're not hella bad here. Might wanna look into a place like that to store the top in. Most are climate controlled, it's secure, and ya can prolly toss a bunch of other shit in there to boot....or find someone else that can use it and go halves or something like that.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make it a coffee table thats what a true jeeper would do lol

thats a joke unless it would actually work hell id do it
outcold

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooohooo I got my top on and boy was it a SOB the first time. I got it on without incident and I can't wait to take it down for some cruisen.
FRANTAZTIC

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: new soft top Reply with quote

i got my brand new BestTOP at tops4less.com and i ahd great experience i hv 97 wrangler w. full doors top was like $350 most difficult part has drilling the screws into header...good luck 2 u!
mudding

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outcold wrote:
wooohooo I got my top on and boy was it a SOB the first time. I got it on without incident and I can't wait to take it down for some cruisen.

Glad it worked out for you -- and thanks for the links - I am removing my hardtop this weekend if the rain would stop ..
Gamgan

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didnt rain here in Puerto Rico for over a week ( thats rare) Soon as I take my hard top off, install the soft top , roll it up and plan on going out with the family topless , it starts pouring
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: