Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lift

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovarevalution

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: lift Reply with quote

ok, im am stuck between the RE 4.5 lift or the 3.5 lift. This may be a possible birthday present for me which would be freaking amazing, but i cant decide which i would be happier with. I wont be doing any insane wheeling and will probably just got mudding on the weekends, maybe hit a few small trails, because to my knowledge there arnt to many around. What do you guys think?
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for mud and trils on weekends and daily driver duty id go 3.5
majikxms

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the rule of 3. At 3" you may need some other mods to properly trim your suspension and transmission. I'm talking about a transfer case drop at minimum, or worst case a SYE. It all depends on allot of factors that have to deal with trial and error. Typical 3" installs on 97 and newer XJ's will require a transfer case drop...sometimes not. Anything over 3 will need a SYE. If you have an older XJ 96 and lower you may be able to get away with a 4.5 inch lift without a SYE and only a T-Case drop. Like I said, it all depends on the vehicle. For example: ThePhantum - '97 - 3.5" lift with a tcase drop. Drake69 - '00 - 3" with nothing. Vic's89XJ - '89 - 5 something " - tcase drop for awhile and then he added a sye. Every vehicle is different, but with what is posted on this board...you should read it sometime...tells a story of trial and error.

To answer your question: 96 or older I would do a 4.5" lift and a tcase drop...add 32"s. 97 and newer, 3.5" with a tcase drop...add 31's. That way you may not have to deal with a SYE and you'll have less trimming on the fenders. What year do you have anyway?
ovarevalution

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a 98, so from what your saying i think im gonna be leaning more towards the 3.5
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatley there are no hard and fast rules. My general rule of thumb? Get as much lift as your wallet can afford. If you can go 4.5" with an SYE/driveshaft, then do it. Over the last year and a half we've installed install over 7 lifts...5 of them on XJ's. Every Jeep responds to lifting a little differently. Anything over 3" you need to to be prepared for the possibility of having to install an SYE....t-case drops are just a temporary solution.

Here's one more thing to consider...if you go 4.5" you'll probably want to go 32's. Even though the automatic is a little more forgiving...with 3.55 gears, it's going to be real sluggish. So you'll have to think about a re-gear to 3.73 or 4.10. Either way 3.55 is the cutoff point, so the carrier will need to be changed as well.

Once again...it's all about what your wallet can afford. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ovarevalution

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so its basically set, i can get the lift, and i think im going to go with the 3.5 RE but now i need to know weather its worth the extra money to get the rear leaf springs or just get the add-a-leaf..... im not sure which one to get, i have a grand to spend and i still have to get tires and i also want to put in a new sound system since the factory one lacks any bump whatsoever....so please help me out with the add-a-leaf or just the new leaf springs....thanks
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since its not a full blown wheeler and your budget id go add a leaf

as for tires you can save cash by re using factory rims and by going with an all terrain tire as they are most of the time cheaper than the mud terrain unless off course you will be in the mud all the time

as for stereo pioneer has good bang for the buck and if you get some woofers id go sony xplod subs with a kenwood or profile amp, pioneer head unit, with pioneer door speakers

im just giving you brands to save you some money

and by the way im running the pioneer cd player pioneer door speakers 2 sony xplod 12s and a profile amp and it sounds damn good
ovarevalution

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where can i get a set of 31 x 10.5 tires for a decent price?
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know where you live so i will give you some brands

bfg makes good tires their 31 ats run about 120 a tire

if your set on mud tires bfg has those too but they are lil on the high side but they last

i have maxxis buckshots, for their 31 they are 95-100 bucks each but they dont last as long as the bfgs or an all terrain

the dick cepek fun country II's are really good but run about 130 each

dunlop mud rovers are pretty good

ther are some brands for you to think about
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would actually recommned going with a full pack. AAL's sag. Within a year it will be riding low in the rear and you'll be looking at getting a new pack anyway. So why not do it right the first time? Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i see what you mean how much is the diff in price?
majikxms

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
yea i see what you mean how much is the diff in price?

Quickly you can look at Rubicon Express for the bolt on packages. There are less expensive, not necessarily better alternatives if you search. Here's a quick list from RE:

RE 3.5" add a leaf kits range from $349-459
RE 3.5" full replacement leaf pack kits range from $560-679

I'm with Phantum, we've done add a leafs and full packs. You will replace the add a leaf from normal driving in less than a year because they sag. If you don't want to spend the money now that's ok, an add a leaf is a valid alterantive, just keep in mind if you do go that route you will have to eventually change the whole pack. So two things to think about: Save money and go add a leaf with potential for change out anyway, or just go ahead and buy the whole pack now.

There are more bolt on packages on the market than just Rubicon Express, some less expensive. In my opinion OME is the best, but they are expensive, but well worth the $850 plus for a 3" kit.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out tuff and rough country
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: