Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Service/Maintenance Info For The FNG?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stoneman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Service/Maintenance Info For The FNG? Reply with quote

The new Wrangler Unltd is high on my list for replacing my current cage. Are there any inherent problems with these that a salesslug may 'forgot' to tell me about?

I know a few years back they were having problems with the brakes (rotors in particular) on the Grand Cherokee line. Is this a problem with the new Wrangler Unltd's?

I thought I remembered reading a while back that the 4.0 I-6's were cracking exhaust manifolds. Is this still an issue?

I'll be commuting in it during northern New England winters. Am I totally outta my tree for WANTING the soft top only? Being a commuter, cost is a bit of an issue. Trying to keep it as low as possible...

As mentioned, I'll be commuting (50/50 highway/local backroads) with it to the tune of about 25K a year. Is this thing gonna handle that kinda mileage without giving me fits?

I won't really be using it for off-roading, or so I say now. I have another vehicle for that. Again, so I say now...

Thanks for any info you folk can gimme. Especially if it's gonna convince me to go ahead with the purchase!
Stoneman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! They're THAT good, eh? Very Happy
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard anything bad about them - just the regular maintenance stuff. I'm not sure if they've changed the design, but yes, the 4.0 exhaust manifold used to crack if you looked at it wrong. Confused
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new soft tops (in general) are vastly superior to older generation OEM offerings. Pair one up with a set of full steel doors and you'll be hard pressed to notice that much of a difference in the two as far as heating/cooling goes. Softops are gonna be a bit louder than the hardtop, that's just the fact that you've got plastic windows, they don't insulate noise as well. Nothing ya can do about that.

I'm still on my original manifold, bought it in May of '00 and haven't had any issues, but from what I read, I'm the vast minority out there. As far as maintence goes, my '00 4.0l just gets the routine stuff...oil, plugs, just did my O2 sensors (75K miles), crap like that. Not gonna beat ya down in the maint dept from what I've experienced. Can't give ya much more info as I don't have an Unlimited myself, so I can't offer any input on handling/ride quality or stuff like that. Mileage will vary, but don't get excited, it's still a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick. If ya keep it stock, it shouldn't kill you at the pump.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: