Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil Filter Adapter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
XJGuy20

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Oil Filter Adapter Reply with quote

Hello All. I am planning on replacing the O Rings inside the oil filter adapter {L shaped piece between the engine block and oil filter}, I believe there are 3 O Rings inside, one or all of which are leaking oil down onto the starter. I was wondering if anyone has had any success/problems doing this job before, any tricks or special tools I may need. Also is there a specific torque on the bolt to re attch it. Any pointers would be terrific. Thanks!
layne227

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: what I learned Reply with quote

you will need a 14 mill al. wrench (not to easy to find in Idaho Falls) a 9/16 might work. to be honest it was more frustrating than hard, If I had to do it again I would look into cuting a hole into the wheel well and doing away with elbow (the filter stud will thred in to the hole in the block.) there is the option of going to a smaller or larger filter if you do go this route. good luck and dont forget to let the oil sludge drain out.
mitchc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Removing oil filter adapter Reply with quote

So. how did you get the oil filter adapter off? I have the 4.0 in my 1997 GC. The o-ring was easy to find but I can't find anyone who can tell me what tool to use to remove the adapter. I have been doing my own work for only a couple of years so I'm still learning the tool terminology.
MachineMan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did the one on my '90 XJ when I replaced the motor mount. Wasn't that hard to do, just a bit messy.
mitchc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what tool did you use to get the adapter off?
MachineMan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a closed end wrench, can't remember what size. There was just enough room between the frame rail to pull it out from below. My rig has a 6.5" lift which maybe makes it easier to get to from underneath.
jppilot61

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this is a duplicate post, I am guilty of putting it in aanother thread too but . . . Spank me! I won't whine much!

I have 1992 Cherokee Laredo which seems to be exibiting the infamous leak from "Oil Filter Adapter" O Rings that I am reading about.

I just ordered replacement O rings from www.rockauto.com for $0.74 each (Takes 3 if I read a previous post correctly?)

Can anyone perhaps provide some more DETAIL about the process to change them out?

Perhaps a Tech Write-Up if someone has done this/witnessed this recently? It seems as if it is fairly common occurence with this vintage?

If not I will try to BLUNDER my way through it in near future! Then I will be the one to do a Writeup (after my busted knuckles heal up!)

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: