Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting the Jeep Line-X'ed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KnightFire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Getting the Jeep Line-X'ed Reply with quote

I'm having the front of the Jeep Line-X'ed by my local Line-X dealer, he's the same guy that did my Ram, I was very impressed with the qaulity and craftsmanship. So I gave him a call!

It seems that lately every time I wash the Jeep (yes some of us actually wash them, lol) that I have to dremel the grill due to rock chips that have rust in them...then I have to use touch up paint to seal the hole after dremeling, well frankly I've had enough!

So I'm getting the grill and forward facing fenders (where the turn signals are) Line-Xed tomorrow...it's all going to cost $50.00, prep, spray, labor, everything. Hell I couldn't do it myself for that cheap, nor would I get a lifetime warranty if I did it myself...

I'll post how it goes/looks after tomorrow.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is line x?

yea im dumb... Embarassed
KnightFire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like Herculiner, but only better...it's a spray on liner that most people put in the beds of their pick-up trucks. A lot of Jeepers put inside the cabin and remove the carpeting, so when its dirty/sandy/muddy, you simply hose it out...

http://www.line-x.com/

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know what all changed if anything in the interiors between model years. I'm a '00 and when I pulled my carpet the front airbag sensor thing a mah jig was exposed behind the shifter/console. That was one of the reasons I just tossed in a cheap replacement set of carpet (which the fit sucks btw Wink ), didn't know what to do to keep that from being exposed to the elements with the roof off and all. You have the same prob with an '02?
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drack:

Actually I'm only got the front grill done, I'm leaving the interior alone, she's my DD so I doubt I'll have too much to worry about as far as needing to hose out the inside...

I just got back from the shop and it looks great, I need to touch up my headlight covers and wash it, then I'll take some photos and post em' up.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, see what happens when I post after work. I gotchya now, the grille....they didn't move the airbag sensor there on the '02s did they Mr. Green .

........back to contemplating frivilous lawsuits for early retirement.....
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the photos:

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great Very Happy

I did the cheaper route of Herculiner on mine and have been happy. But Line-x is the nicer way to go....its much thicker than the Herculiner and from what Ive seen holds up to the elements better also. Im probably gonna recoat mine this summer sometime. Nice touch on the fenders as well. I had thought of doing that as well and now that I see yours I will.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatWasIThinkin wrote:
That looks great Very Happy

I did the cheaper route of Herculiner on mine and have been happy. But Line-x is the nicer way to go....its much thicker than the Herculiner and from what Ive seen holds up to the elements better also. Im probably gonna recoat mine this summer sometime. Nice touch on the fenders as well. I had thought of doing that as well and now that I see yours I will.

Thanks!

For $50.00 I can't complain, I actually helped do everything except spray (they wouldn't let me do that, though I wanted to).

They said that it would have cost $50.00 if I had helped or not, but seeing how I'm a pretty hands on guy, I pitched in.

So you really might want to give a Line-x dealer a call and see if the price would be the same (I'm not sure what your paying for materials in Herculiner, tape, etc). It took about 2 hours to do, 1.5 hrs for prep, 15min for spraying, then another 15min to remove the tape/plastic and putting everything back together.

I did the fenders because that was a problem area too, actually I think I remember photos of your Herculiner job now that I think about it! Is it fading? I haven't noticed any fading on my Line-X truck bed liner, but it has tonneau cover...they guarantee it not to fade, so we'll see.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KnightFire wrote:

actually I think I remember photos of your Herculiner job now that I think about it! Is it fading? I haven't noticed any fading on my Line-X truck bed liner

KnightFire

Mine hasnt faded but the gloss finish is gone. So now it looks like flat black. It has weathered alot and any of the spots that were only lightly coated at the time have weathered away and its showing some of the paint showing threw. I scuffed it well so its not peeling or anything, just thinning with age.

quadna71

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you roll on the herc or spray it? i'm getting ready to spray in some...hopefully this next weekend if my HF order gets here. that grill/fender job looks pretty sweet though...i wonder what it would run to do a full tub job - interior/exterior. hmm...
chris
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rolled mine on.

You realy cant compare Herculiner to Line-x. Line-x is @10 times thicker aplication when done. But the Herculiner is intended for the DIY weekend project.

quadna71

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWIT,
don't worry, i'm not planning on saying that herculiner is better than linX or rhino...but i believe in DIY projects. i've finished scuffing the entire tub (interior) and tailgate, have taped drop cloths, 3m paint masking tape, a gallon of herc, and a fresh quart of xylene. once my spray gun, mixer, and paper funnels get here from HF i'll be in business. maybe this weekend. i probably won't get many pictures though as i'm not risking the permanent tattoos on my canon Smile
chris
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a crappy job of rolling on herc on my grill front fenders, and as soon as i get a place to work on my jeep and the free time i want to sand that crap off and line-X it. the hearc wears away fast and chips peals if you do it wrong. You can use linex to bombproof cynderblock walls, so i thin its a much better alternative, even if you have to hand your jeep over to some strange man, with a mullet and his name on his shirt

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey knight could you have the x in same color as your jeep?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: