Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swapping Scout axles into an XJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foxx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Swapping Scout axles into an XJ Reply with quote

Hey all. A buddy of mine recently offered me a set of axles out of an old IH Scout. If I recall correctly, the Scouts had Dana 44's front and rear, and are somewhat narrow.

My question is, how much work will be required to swap them in? I think the IH had a leaf spring up front, so I'll have to cut the perches off and add coil buckets, and probably relocate the rear perches, along with shock mounts.

Aside from that, can I expect these axles to have disc brakes on the front, or locking hubs? I'm not expecting them to, but I can hope. If they dont, are there any bolt on swaps to put discs on all four corners?

With four wheel discs, will I need to change out my master cylinder?

Last but not least, are the 44's an upgrade worth doing? I've heard the Grand Cherokee 44's have aluminum housings, which would suck.

Thanks
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping Scout axles into an XJ Reply with quote

Foxx wrote:
Last but not least, are the 44's an upgrade worth doing?

Yes.

To my knowledge, they have manual hubs and I would guess, front disc/rear drum. Don't know if you could swap parts to get rear discs.

Make sure the front is driver's side drop. If not, it's not a working idea.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping Scout axles into an XJ Reply with quote

Foxx wrote:
With four wheel discs, will I need to change out my master cylinder?

No. I converted to rear disc last year and and am still running the stock master cylinder. The pedal is lower, but stopping power increased. However, the brake bias is slighty more rearward than I would like. An adjustable proportioning valve will fix that.

There are bolt on swaps...but they are expensive. A cheaper solution would be to do this: http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/2002/08_aug/reardisc/index.html

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Foxx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if the front is passenger's side? I'm going to have to rotate the steering gear anyway for proper caster, so couldnt I just flip the axle 'upside down' and put the differential under the driver's side, and just re-weld everything?
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't do that - the rotation of the gears would cause the tires to turn backwards.
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxx wrote:
What if the front is passenger's side? I'm going to have to rotate the steering gear anyway for proper caster, so couldnt I just flip the axle 'upside down' and put the differential under the driver's side, and just re-weld everything?

No. You can't. In addition the the gears running the wrong direction, you'd also have issues with proper lubrication. Center sections are designed to be run within a specific range of angles. Upside down is not one of them.
Foxx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everything works out, he may be doing me a huge favor. He said they were driver's side differential, and gave me a choice of gear ratio. I think the lowest was a 3.73.

With 31x 15.50 tires, what gear ratio do I want to keep around factory- spec fuel economy and power? I'm planning on gearing it maybe a little bit high if he doesnt have exactly what I need, because the XJ is currently my 'civilized' daily driver, so fuel economy would be good, and I also plan on doing some engine mods soon to boost power anyway.

So, how do I figure out what's in there now, and what I need?

Thanks
Foxx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, he told me that my choices are 308, 325, 350, and 373.

Which one would be closest to stock specs with 31's? I need to let him know tonight, so any help would be...helpful. Very Happy

Thanks
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://jeephorizons.com/tech/rpmchart.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: