Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gearing & Carrier

View previous topic :: View next topic  
A/T GRANDY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Gearing & Carrier Reply with quote

Hi Jeepers ,

I have stock axles , D35 & D30 with 3.07 ratio gearing . Intend to regear to 4.56 .

The D35 comes with a factory LSD . To regear to 4.56 ratio , I'll need to get a carrier . Would it affect / fit the LSD ? At a later stage , I intend to get a Super 35 kit with a Detroit locker , do I need to change anything else ?

For the D30 , to regear to 4.56 ratio , I'll need a carrier . But the ring & pinion , do I get the std rotation or crush sleeve w std rotation or rev rotation ?? ??? I also intend to change the D30 to a HPD30 later , can the carrier and ring& pinion from the LP fit a HPD30 ??

Thank you in advance for your comment .
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could be wrong but a gear change that much would mean the limited slip for the 3.07 gears wouldnt work

i heard that you should regear first before buying lockers
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOr the rear ..There is no easy way if you are going with the Super 35 kit..

Because its a full carrier .. You will have to have it installed and geared at the same time.. If you change carriers now and regear to 4:56 and buy the super 35 later ....You will have to get the gears set up again...

May as well do the rear in one fell swoop..

For the front... The carrier (as long as its 3:73 or lower ratio) is the same be it HP or LP..IF you gear the LP now (Thats what you have ) you will have to regear when you buy the HP.. The carriers are interchangable the gears are not.. The HP has reverse cut gears...

Sooooo....Here is my suggestion...

Go get an HP 30 now... (3:07 ratio on an XJ is not uncommon) go ahead and install that...

Then save your money ..Get the super 35 kit.. Then save more ..Get both sets of gears .......Then save more....... Get them all installed...
The Super 35 with the gears and the gears in the HP 30..

One more thing... Any lunchbox type locker that you put in the 30 will work. .They are pretty much universal..The part number for a Dana 30 locker is the same be it for a 72 or an 02..

Hope that helps..

carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
A/T GRANDY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swamp Boy ,

The rear ( Super 35 ) being a full carrier , does that mean the Detroit locker is the ' carrier ' and the gear have to be reset in it ? If so , the same gear ( ring & pinion ) can be reused & only have them be reinstalled in the locker / 'carrier' , right ?

When ordering the Super 35 kit , I'll have to order the ring & pinion for it together and not the carrier , right ? What about installation kit ? Do I need them for installing into the locker ?

Thanks.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.. The Super 35 is a full carrier.. And what that means is that you will have to pay to get the gears set up on the locker. Thats why its better just to wait.. You will need a master install kit when you install them.. Becasue you will need the bearings and shims and the crush sleeve.. None of them are reusable..

Does that answer your question??

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
A/T GRANDY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl ,

To get the gears set up on the locker ( for Super 35 ) , does the shop do this ( we inform them of the ratio ) when buying or I would have to do it separately ?

Ta.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell them what gear ratio you want when ordering ..But only because there is a carrier break in the dana 35 axle.. Meaning that the 3:55 or higher carrier is different size than 3:73 or lower..

The shop will have to put the gears on the locker just the same as a standard gear setup...

Probobly wont charge you any more to set it up with the locker than they would without..

Carl

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: