Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking about getting an XJ, need some advice.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JAC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Thinking about getting an XJ, need some advice. Reply with quote

I'm really looking into trading my car for an XJ because even though I like my car, I've always wanted to drive a badass, lifted truck Cool .

I'm looking at models between the years 99 and 2001, 6cyl, 4wd, 5-speed. I know that 5-speeds are very rare in the us (How come???) but I live in Venezuela and they are pretty comon here.

I like the style, the offroad capabilities and the brand, my main concern is reliability, of both the engine and the tranny. If I do get this car I'm planing to keep it for a looooong time so it has to be reliable. I know that asking this at an XJ forum might get me some biased answers but you guys wouldn't do that now would you? Wink .

Also, how tough is the unibody? the main reason why some people (mostly toyota cruiser heads) bash the XJ is because it's not a body over chasi set-up, but from the pics I've seen it seems very tough.

And last but not least, when I go to check out a possible buy, what should I look for? what are the most comon problems this trucks have?

thanks.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as years, be wary of the 00-01 models...especially if you plan to lift it. Those two years used a low pinon D30 front axle. 99 and prior years used a high pinion front axle.

The 4.0L is a rock. Take care of it (oil changes, tuneups, etc.) and it will easily push 300K miles. The uni-body is pretty tough. If you decide to wheel it hardcore, there are things you can easily do to strenghen it even more.

Things to look for? Aside from the normal stuff when buying any vehicle, (and, again, this is more if you plan to lift) look at the rear axle. The Chryco 8.25 is a little stronger than the D35....a good thing if you plan on running large tires. You can see a pic of the difference here (edit - 8.25 is on the left, D35 is on the right).

Finally, check out this thread. It's a listing of stock specs across the entire production of Cherokees.

HTH

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Last edited by ThePhantum on Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fatalfunnel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the pics....which is which?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. 8.25 is on the left, D35 is on the right. Wink

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JAC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, but in case I decide to go with an 2000 or 01 model, how much would that affect me? I don't plan to do extreme wheeling and/or offroading, I plan to take it offroad but nothing extreme.

I plan to do only a 3.5" lift with 30 tires, this truck will also be my daily driver so on-road and highway manners are a must. What brand of lift do you recomend? I was looking at the Rubicon Express kits, those look pretty nice, are they good?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the lift height and tires size you're talking about you should not have any problems with the LP D30.

RE makes excellent lift kits. Also check out the OME 3" kit. IMHO, OME makes the best kits 3" and under on the market, with RE as a close second. Both have excellent on road mannerisms and wheel like demons. Be aware that even at 3"-4", you might need to do either an SYE or a t-case drop too.

Quote:
JAC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon my newbieism but what is an SYE?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slip Yoke Eliminator. Lifting changes the angle of the driveshaft between the pinion and the transfer case. The rear drive shaft attaches at the t-case via a slip yoke. A typical SYE eliminates the slip yoke at the t-case and replaces it with a CV (or double cardian joint). A slip yoke is then typically incorporated into the driveshaft. This type of configuration can help reduce driveline angles and (usually) eliminate vibrations.

You can read more about driveline geometry here.

Quote:
JAC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the link.

Another question I forgot to ask, how many people here use their XJs as daily drivers?

oh, and is there any place online where I can download the shop manual for the XJ?(98 and up)
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAC wrote:
Another question I forgot to ask, how many people here use their XJs as daily drivers?

All the info' thephantum has posted is true. And to answer your question, most XJ owners I've ever known use their rig for a daily driver.

I'd like to also mention about the Old Man Emu (OME) lift vs. the Rubicon Express (RE) kits. I strongly feel that the OME shocks included with the OME kit are supreme! You can do the RE kit with the OME shocks, too. Point is, the shocks will determine much of the ride quality for a daily driver. I have them on my TJ and truly appreciate the ride quality of them.

You also asked the question about reliability. XJ's are very reliable, provided they are taken care of...like any rig. As thephantum mentioned, wheel it hard with the lighter duty axles, and you are likely to have problems. My wife's '95 XJ has never had a transmission problem (145k miles) with here automatic. But we don't tow with it either, and have owned it since new. Regular oil changes, services, etc.

Good luck in your XJ search.
Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: