Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My front axle?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
outcold

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: My front axle? Reply with quote

I check the axle info forum and could find my answer so I came here.

Is my front end locked? I talked to someone today and he said the front is locked and that's why it's used so often for plowing. So if I have the 3.07 rear end what do I have in the front? Any other applicable info would be appreciated. Thanks

Rich
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, not locked from the factory. You have a low pinion Dana 30 front axle with 3.07 gears in it. All TJ's, 'cept Rubicons will have 30's. The Rubicons have Dana 44's up front (with a selectable air locker as well). Does the friend that said they are locked because they are used for plowing think they roll over real easy too Wink .....j/k.
flyerjib

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another good way to tell if your front end is locked or not is to jack it up where both tires are off the ground then spin one of the tires. The opposite tire will spin in the same direction if locked... otherwise it will spin opposite.
Custom bumpers
Ramsey Winch
Herculiner interior
Neoprene seat covers
Dana 44s front and rear w/ air lockers and hub conversion+much, much more... OlllllllO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are not locked

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
outcold

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. thumbs

Edit: does this mean that with my currant set up I should or should NOT go 4 wheelin in any serious manner?
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, no, no. Not at all does that mean ya shouldn't wheel Smile . Just means ya got an open front diff. A locker just makes tackling obstacles a bit more easier, not a necessity for 4wheeling. Take it out and enjoy yourself thumbs .
outcold

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yeah, get it out there and wheeeeeeeeeel!

The D30 has been around for a zillion years and has proven its worth a zillion times. In 4 wheel you still have one of the front wheels clawing for traction. I had an 02 X and was amazed what I could go threw with it in stock form.

That said what you want to avoid with the D30 is using speed to help you over obstacles....well thats true for any axle for the most part. A couple things you dont want to do is have the wheels turned hard while in 4lo and avoid standing on the gas should you lose traction. If the front locked wheel is spinning in free air and it catches traction a broken axle or u-joint ussually happens.

So go wheel but try to finese the rig over stuff, have fun and enjoy it! Very Happy

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatWasIThinkin wrote:

The D30 has been around for a zillion years

Yes, man fossilized housings have been dated back to the Triassic Period flipoff agree . Sorry, carry on Wink .
95sahara

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So answer me this: a couple of days ago, my dad's tractor broke down, and being on a pretty steep hill at the end of our yard, he asked me to pull it back to the garage. So I hooked up to it, put it in 4lo, and started to pull. Like I said it was a pretty steep hill and the yard/moss was wet so I started to spin a bit. I backed up and took it at more of an angle and pulled the little Case tractor right up out. But when I went back down in the yard there were four spots dug up in the yard from wheels spinning. All four of my wheels were spinning. I know both back wheels should have been but only one of the fronts should have been, correct?
PICS
flyerjib

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to look up how open diffs work. I am not the person who can explain it... I just kind of get it... but here goes (anyone can help out at any time) Confused as long as both wheels have grip, they will both spin in the same direction. once you loose grip to one of the wheels it starts to spin and the opposite side stops... or pretty close to that?!? So by there being four spin marks in the wet grass your tires were just transfering power from the wheel to wheel... look up at what people wrote above or if you are still curious ty what I wrote about jacking up both wheels and spinning one side and looking at what the other side is doing. [/quote]
Custom bumpers
Ramsey Winch
Herculiner interior
Neoprene seat covers
Dana 44s front and rear w/ air lockers and hub conversion+much, much more... OlllllllO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
95sahara

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how an open diff works, I know how to rebuild rear ends/front ends, and I did go to school for automotive technology, but sometimes all the information I learned goes right out the window and my stupider side takes over. I wasn't thinking about it like that. Nevermind the weetard. And thanks again for the explanation.
PICS
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: