Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WILL NOT START

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlansaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: WILL NOT START Reply with quote

Hello,
I have a 97 TJ! I messed it up pretty bad about 6 months ago on a trail. I have finally got every thing back together except now it will not start. When I turn the key I do not hear anything at all. I have replaced the battery and the starter and it has not done anything for me. Also the head lights will not come on. My question is, if this is because of an electrical short than where would it likely be. Thank you fellow jeepsters. Confused
KnightFire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are/are not getting power to? Take a volt meter and start tracing your electrical systems. Start at the battery and spider your way throughout the entire system.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mucker111

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it was "messed up" pretty badly on a trail...(not really sure what that means) check fuses too.

If you rolled and mangled things, don't just check for blown fuses, but check to see if there's voltage there at all....wires might have ripped off.
Does your dash light up? If there's a short your battery indicator will drop pretty quick depending on what kind of short (direct short, or low impedance short)....

An old buddy of mine had a problem with his van. He'd have to jump the battery after 8 hours or so of it being off. Turned out he had a short in his interior light (which still worked)....so who knows! haha

good luck!
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the battery cables are connected? Wink

My Morning Jacket
dlansaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have been looking all over the place for a short. It looks like the problem is actually in the ignition itself. I do not mean the ignition switch, I mean where the key actually turns over. I figured this out buy jump starting the starter. Then I changed the ignition switch and it did not help. Now I am changing the key switch. From the looks of thing taking the steering wheel off is one real pain in the butt. Butt thanks for the info guys.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno about Jeeps, but it's very possible to wear out the contacts or break the wires in the ignition cylinder, I wouldn't think you would have to remove the whole steering column though, just the shell and steering wheel.

I found this (though I think its for a CJ):

Did it actually fire/run when you jumped the starter?

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
KnightFire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, did some checking in my FSM, you don't have to pull the steering wheel, at least not in the 2002 FSM. All you have to do is:

Turn ignition cylinder to the on position with the key and remove cylinder by pressing the release through the lower shroud access hole (under the ignition cylinder, from the bottom) with a pin punch or small screw driver, you'll see an access hole in the steering column cover. Simply depress the relase and pull out the cylinder.

Installing new one, simply put the key in the cylinder, align the cylinder with the ignition switch and push it in until you hear it click, the turn the key to the lock position.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KnightFire wrote:
OK, did some checking in my FSM, you don't have to pull the steering wheel, at least not in the 2002 FSM. All you have to do is:

Turn ignition cylinder to the on position with the key and remove cylinder by pressing the release through the lower shroud access hole (under the ignition cylinder, from the bottom) with a pin punch or small screw driver, you'll see an access hole in the steering column cover. Simply depress the relase and pull out the cylinder.

Installing new one, simply put the key in the cylinder, align the cylinder with the ignition switch and push it in until you hear it click, the turn the key to the lock position.

KnightFire

As a locksmith I know this is correct, except that there may be a tamper proof screw also to remove. It holds a small metal device that helps prevent the lock cylinder from being forcefully pulled.

If the key turns, and it ran before you wrecked the vehicle, it probably isn't a problem with the lock cylinder or the ignition switch.
Warn X8000i winch, Warn Rock Bumpers
RE 4.5"Super Flex Lift
AA HD SYE
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Shrockguards
Tellico & Windrock Tested & Customized!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: