Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transfer case lower for 3.5 inch lift

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Kev

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Transfer case lower for 3.5 inch lift Reply with quote

I am looking at getting a 3.5 inch lift for my 99 XJ, and i know about drive shaft angles but i don't know if i need to lower the transfer case. I am new to this thing so if any of you guys can help me out that would be really cool.
drewguere

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your gonna wanna get at least a tc drop, start saving for a sye too

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, do you know how much lower i am going to need the transfer case? and what is an sye?
Drake69

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From everything I've read, 1" is the max you can go (I could be wrong for much bigger lifts). When anyone does a tcase drop for lifts up to 5", they do a 1" drop.

SYE = Slip Yoke Eliminator

An SYE is used with a tcase drop on lifts greater than 3.5", OR for lesser lifts with drive vibrations, commonly referred to as "death wobble". The slip yoke is the knuckle and drive shaft that runs from the tcase to the rear axle diff. When someone installs an SYE, they're straightening the angle of the drive shaft to even out "DW" after a lift. Shims are also used to help out with DW, though I'm not familiar with their install location.

Big Kev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help, any other things i should know before i do the lift?
Drake69

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Kev wrote:
thanks for the help, any other things i should know before i do the lift?

Yup, PB Blast EVERYTHING, even the bolts you wouldn't think you'd have to crack, at least 24 hours prior to starting. READ the instructions CAREFULLY, then hit the tech forums and review other lift installs for helpful tips on what to do and NOT do. Especially go over the parts in the kit to make sure you have ALL of it, you don't want to be in the middle of the lift and be missing a bushing, shock, etc. If you've never done one, attempt to enlist someone local to you that has, or at the very least has mechanic or suspension skills. Get your tools ready, and consult the Factory Service Manual if you have one for tips on removing factory parts. A torque wrench for both metric and empirical is also needed to torque the bolts to factory specs (these will be listed in the FSM).

Anything I've missed?

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the slip yoke is just what it sounds like. The driveshaft yoke slips in and out of the on the t-case to allow for rear axle movement. What an SYE does is eliminate that yoke and replace it with a double cardian joint. The drive shaft itself then has a sort of slip yoke on it to allow for axle movement.

Degree shims are used to help tilt the pinion up towards the t-case, which helps eliminate the angles further. They install between the axle and the leaf spring and are usually sold by the amount they change the angle, measure in degrees.

You also don't usually install a t-case drop with an SYE. The t-case drop is essentially lowering the transmission crossmember, reducing ground clearance. T-case drops are more of a stop gap measure than a long term solution.

There are no hard/fast rules for what you need to do....every XJ is different. At 3.5" a t-case drop should take care of any driveline vibrations that might come up. Then again, it might not. Once you start getting over 3" of lift, you should be prepared to do an SYE.

HTH

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Big Kev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, i have a friend of mine that has done a couple of lifts before helping me so i should be all set, thanks for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: