Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

why did you pick a cherokee over a grand cherokee?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slapthefunkyfour

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: why did you pick a cherokee over a grand cherokee? Reply with quote

I'm doing some shopping for a new jeep to replace my ford explorer and I was wonder what the advantages/disadvantages were? What make you guys pick the cherokee?
feuer895

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i choose the cherokee over the grand because i like the classic styling more and i think the grand is meant more for soccer moms than off roaders
slapthefunkyfour

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the classic appearance much more. I'm just doing some research so I can talk my wife into getting an XJ. She wants the ZJ, and since she's the wife, she usually gets what she wants. But, I might get lucky and talk her out of it.
feuer895

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well manily get whats going to be best for day to day driving and such and fuel milage they both are cool
Drake69

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, the box style. That is a great selling point, aAnd one of the reasons I bought mine. A couple more reasons are I like how easy it is to work with these beasts, how easy it is now to find things for them, and the fact they cost less than most ZJs, although I see those drop in price more and more each month. My two cents.

1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soccer moms!?!?!? what? no way

pick what you like best if your gonna be a hard wheeler the grands have the v8 way more torque and horsepower but they are a little more difficult to work on than the inline six, but you can also get the 6 in a grand

soccer mom?

go call swampy a soccer mom he drives a grand hahahaha

i like the grand because it feels like it has more space and the way its slightly more rounded appeals to me

check out the photo album look at both the cherokee and grands

just remember its all in what you want and prefer
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price was the determining factor for me. When I bought mine new in 97, I test drove both. I was seriously considering a ZJ, (I still like the ZJ lot) until I thought about what I planned to do with it (can you say "beat to hell") and decided that I'd rather spend $22,500 as opposed to $35K+. Yea, I could've had a V8 ( rofl ) with the ZJ, but the 4.0L makes plenty of torque. Besides it's not just how much torque the engine has...a lot of it has to do with the gearing that applies it to wheels. Wink

But that was new. Don't get me wrong...I love my XJ (well, it's more a love/hate thing) and wouldn't trade it for anything...but if I were buying a used one now I would prolly opt for a ZJ. It really is a matter of personal preference though.

Oh yea....unfortunatley, lots of XJ's are driven by soccer moms as well...not just Grands. Confused

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
95sahara

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calling a Grand Cherokee a "soccer mom" vehicle is about as ignorant as saying "TJ's are for cheerleaders", which was in someone's sig on here a while ago. It doesn't matter what anyone says or thinks about what you drive, drive it because YOU like it, not for anyone else. I don't stereotype anyone's vehicle based on who the majority of driver's are.
PICS
feuer895

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
soccer moms!?!?!? what? no way

soccer mom?

go call swampy a soccer mom he drives a grand hahahaha

i like the grand because it feels like it has more space and the way its slightly more rounded appeals to me

check out the photo album look at both the cherokee and grands

just remember its all in what you want and prefer

i was saying that because around here i have never seen a grand dirty there always all shinny and it bugs the krap out of me and i mostly see some blond chick driving them around
95sahara

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understandable. And please don't take anything I say as being towards any single person. I don't want to tick anyone off on here.
PICS
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont ever judge, just because you dont see one dirty doesnt mean they dont wheel it, my girlfriend wheels my grand.....so seeing a girl drive it doesnt mean they dont wheel, im not mad at you or anyone i just dont like it when people judge by appearence or "what they heard" about things
Huey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yukon's, denalis, and tahoe's are for soccer moms.

but i too like the box style better but i also like the over all "bigness" of the ZJ.
NCJeeper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: why did you pick a cherokee over a grand cherokee? Reply with quote

slapthefunkyfour wrote:
I'm doing some shopping for a new jeep to replace my ford explorer and I was wonder what the advantages/disadvantages were? What make you guys pick the cherokee?

I bought mine cause it was only $850. rofl Well, I had to fix it up some, and it's an '88...but $850 is $850 right? Wink
IBTJn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wife has a '95 XJ. At that time, the ZJ wasn't out. That pretty much did it for us. So we've owned it since new, it's paid for, and the wife recently had a 2" OME lift installed on it w/ 31's. She wheeled it for the first time last weekend with us TJ guys...and did fantastic! I was amazed at how well that rig did with open diffs'...and really am excited about mildly building it.

I like the ZJ, too. In fact, there are several I've seen mildly built...but for some reason the simplicity of the XJ still appeals to the wife and I over that. So for us, it's just flat preference.

But I have a question to the more knowledgable guys here that might help, too. I know the XJ is a unibody design. Is the ZJ also unibody? I've never seen that mentioned and honeslty don't know?

Wink
Drake69

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, it's unibody.

Only the Wranglers (CJs, TJs, YJs) are not unibody. To be unibody the body is directly attached to the chassis or frame, which means only the suspension can be lifted away from the vehicle. That's why Wranglers have both body and suspension lifts, where all other Jeeps (XJs, ZJs, WJs, KJs, etc...) only have suspension lifts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: